My new favorite summer drink right here! I’m not ever big on drinks because I’d rather get my sugar from a decadent dessert but this is my new exception! It is totally irresistible and the watermelon and lemon flavor combination pairs perfectly together.
Today I went on a gorgeous hike with my brother and I brought this Watermelon Lemonade along. Even though it was an easy hike it was a long hike for me because due to this lame permanent hip injury I went from exercising 6 days a week to exercising 0 days a week for last year and half. But, I made it through the 7 mile hike thanks to this drink :). The thought of getting another taste of this kept me going. Ah and how refreshing it was to guzzle this drink down on a warm day! It has the perfect amount of sweet and tart, and a delicious depth of mellow watermelon flavor.
I could live on this drink this summer! I’m totally in love with it and when you use a good watermelon it just makes it that much better! Now if only I could learn how to pick the perfect watermelon every single time. It’s like with cantaloupe and avocados, if only I could just see what’s inside before making my selection. I follow the recommend tips but still sometimes end up with duds. Luck of the draw right?
The next watermelon treat I want to try is Rachel’s Watermelon Fruit Leather. I love watermelon so my mouth is watering just thinking about that stuff! It looks so good! I need to expand my collection of watermelon recipes and I think that along with this drink definitely needs to be added to our summer to do list.
Follow Cooking Classy
- 6 cups cubed seedless watermelon , chilled (2 lbs after peeling)*
- 4 cups cold water
- 3/4 cup fresh strained lemon juice , chilled
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar (more or less to taste)
- Ice and fresh mint for serving
- Add watermelon to a blender and pulse until well pureed (there should be about 4 cups). Pour through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl.
- In a large pitcher whisk together water, lemon juice and sugar until sugar has dissolved. Stir in pureed watermelon. Stir in ice and mint (alternately add ice and mint directly to individual cups and pour lemonade over). Store in refrigerator.
- *If you don't have time to chill the ingredients then just use more ice in place of some of the water.