Word is out that you can make waffles with a cake mix so I had to see for myself, and yes, it really works! But more importantly they’re completely delicious! And breakfast couldn’t get any easier, or dessert for that matter. Four ingredients and just a few minutes prep is all it takes for these decadent waffles, that taste just like cake of course!
Could there be a more perfect Valentines day breakfast to make for your loved one? Kids would go crazy for these too! I served them here with Nutella sauce, which is also unbelievably easy to make. All you need to do is whisk a few tbsp of milk with Nutella (you can also warm it if you’d prefer a warm sauce). I keep wondering if their company will ever come out with a Nutella sauce (perfect for ice cream, cakes, pancakes and waffles and just to squeeze directly in your mouth) but until then I just go this easy route. You could also use chocolate ganache if you’d like for these. And fresh strawberries I think are a must, we all know and love the way they pair with chocolate so here it’s a match that’s meant to be.
You can also use other cake mix flavors. I’m excited to try out more, but chocolate always comes first, right?
- 1 (16.5 oz) pkg Devil's Food Chocolate Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat a waffle iron (I recommend using medium heat). Prepare batter according to directions on package.
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour amount listed from waffle iron manufactures instructions into waffle iron and cook according to time listed on instructions. Serve warm with desired toppings.
- For optional Nutella Sauce:
- Whisk together 3/4 cup Nutella with 4 Tbsp milk (or more to thin as desired) until smooth. Warm in microwave if desired. Drizzle over waffles.
- These waffles are also good with sweetened whipped cream and fresh strawberries.