I’ve got pizza on my mind lately. Oh wait, I always have pizza on my mind. It’s been one of my favorites foods as long as I can remember and I have the feeling that is never going to change. Pizza is just comfort food at it’s best and when done right it’s sure to please.
I love how creative you can be with pizza. The topping options are endless and you don’t need to just stop at Italian or American flavors. A few I still need to try are Thai pizza, enchilada pizza, and a potato rosemary pizza (and that list goes on and on).
Today I went with the classic barbecue chicken pizza but gave it a Hawaiian spin. This pizza will be very familiar to you if you’ve ever ordered something similar at California Pizza Kitchen. To be honest I’ve never ordered there (I think I’ve only been there once or twice my whole life) I just used their idea for inspiration. Their pizza uses Gouda cheese which would also be delicious if you wanted to use half mozzarella and half Gouda for this recipe. I also added bacon, because really can you go wrong with bacon? Plus I thought this pizza needed that saltiness to balance out the sweetness from the pineapple. And you can use homemade or store bought bbq sauce for this recipe, my favorite store bought which I used for this is Bulls Eye Original. It has a good depth of flavor so when I don’t have an hour to wait for a bbq sauce to simmer I usually go with that one.
You will love this pizza! I know I will be making it time and time again, and doesn’t it have summer written all over it? I’m sure this will be one of my go to pizzas this summer and I’m sure I’ll even be grilling it!
- 1 lb pizza dough, homemade or store bought
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups (8 oz) low-moisture mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple (chop into small pieces)
- 1/3 of a medium red onion, sliced thin and run under cool water to remove harsh bite
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped or torn
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Brush both sides of chicken lightly with 1 Tbsp of the olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through, rotating once halfway through cooking, and brushing with 3 Tbsp of the barbecue sauce during last 1 - 2 minutes of grilling. Remove from grill and set aside to cool 5 minutes.
- Spread pizza dough out on a floured sheet of parchment paper over a pizza tray to a 12-inch round (if you prefer a crisp crust, preheat a pizza stone in oven and transfer pizza on parchment using a pizza peel to preheated stone). In a mixing bowl whisk together remaining olive oil and garlic. Brush entire surface of dough with olive oil mixture and let rest 10 minutes.
- Cut chicken into cubes. Brush dough with remaining barbecue sauce (1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp). Top with 1/3 of the mozzarella then top with chicken, pineapple, bacon and red onion. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and season with freshly ground black pepper. Bake in preheated oven until crust is golden, about 11 - 13 minutes. Slice and serve warm topped with cilantro.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy, inspired by CPK