Are you ready to try a new exciting spin on pizza? I know that I always game seeing as pizza is one of my favorite foods. I will never get tired of it and since the topping options are endless I never have to get bored of it.
This is a topping combinations you simply have to try! Even if you don’t love onions you will most likely still love this pizza. Since the onions are caramelized it really just tones down that harsh bite they can have, it mellows out their bold flavor and even brings out some sweetness in them. Then when you pair that with salty, crispy bacon, fresh spinach and melty mozzarella and parmesan cheese you have got a rave worthy pizza. You know, the kind your guests will be talking about for years.
Trust me, you don’t want to miss out on this fabulously gourmet and perfectly flavorful pizza! It’s one I will make time and time again!
Follow Cooking Classy
Not your traditional pizza! This is layered with a creamy white sauce, bacon, spinach and flavorful caramelized onions. So amazingly tasty!
- 1 lb pizza dough homemade or store bought
- 7 slices (7 oz) bacon, cooked and chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8 oz baby spinach
- 1 large red onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 oz low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, finely shredded
Place a pizza stone in oven and preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and saute just until wilted. Transfer to several layers of paper towels and squeeze some of the excess liquid from spinach, set aside.
- Add another 1 Tbsp olive oil to skillet and set over medium heat. Add onions, season lightly with salt and saute 10 minutes. Add sugar and cook until they begin to caramelize, about 5 - 10 minutes longer, adding a few tbsp water as needed to prevent them from drying and burning. Stir in balsamic vinegar and cook 1 minute longer, set aside.
Shape pizza dough into a 12-inch round over a lightly floured surface, leaving a larger rim around edge of dough for crust. Brush top with remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and let rest 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour milk into flour mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture just to a boil stirring constantly then remove from heat.
Spread white sauce evenly over pizza, leaving crust uncoated. Top with half of the mozzarella and half of the parmesan, then add spinach, bacon and onions. Top with remaining half of the mozzarella and parmesan. Using a pizza peel, transfer pizza to preheated pizza stone and bake in preheated oven 8 - 12 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden.
- Recipe source: Inspired by Cooking Light