Oh summer how I love you and all the fresh fruit and veggies you provide. During the summer I always have a generous stock of fruits and vegetables in my fridge then winter rolls around and that’s a different story. It’s like that abundance of nutritious, vitamin packed fruits and veggies gets traded in for an abundance of cavity causing, non-diet-friendly holiday sweets, but I won’t complain there. I love my sweets. But I also love a sheet pan full of roasted, cheesy summer veggies! I love what a good roasting and a fair amount of Parmesan can do for veggies. Turns drab and dull into fab and flavorful! Even my kids loved these veggies – including my one daughter who always says “hey could you get that green stuff off of there?”
Since I usually get recipes posted on here made by midday (so I can catch a decent light for pictures), they often become lunch for me. So today I had a big bowl full of these garlicky veggies paired with a side of Energy Bites. Totally random but a little salty and little sweet is always good together. My girls had theirs for a snack along with a glass of chocolate milk, again some salty and some sweet, it makes the world go round. Okay it just makes my world go round :). Try these veggies (+1 fruit if you want to get all technical – I still have a hard time accepting tomatoes as a fruit. Call it stubbornness I guess but they just don’t seem fruity enough to be labeled as such), this simple side dish will not disappoint!
- 2 small zucchini (1 lb), cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 small yellow squash (1 lb), cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 14 oz Flavorino or small Campari tomatoes, sliced into halves
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (2.4 oz) finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fresh or dried parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line an 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic and Italian seasoning (if possible let rest 5 - 10 minutes to allow flavors to infuse into oil). Place zucchini, squash and tomatoes in a large mixing bowl. Pour olive oil mixture over top and gently toss with hands to evenly coat. Pour onto prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top of each. Roast in preheated oven 25 - 30 minutes until veggies are tender and Parmesan is golden brown. Garnish with parsley if desired and serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy