A this cheese Tortellini recipe makes for the perfect summertime dinner! It’s made up of three cheese stuffed tortellini, tender roasted vegetables and vibrant basil pesto. Talk about bowl full of flavor!
A Must Have Tortellini Recipe!
Three of my favorite things collide here to make one incredible entree you’ll want to make again and again!
Cheesy tortellini is always delicious, plus the refrigerated store-bought kind is the perfect shortcut to any meal. Pesto adds fresh flavor to anything and you can never go wrong with a blend of multi-color roasted vegetables.
So let’s combined the three to get this truly tasty yet easy to make dish – Tortellini with Pesto and Roasted Vegetables. The whole family will love this and you’ll love that it’s a great way to pack vegetables into your dinner.
The other great thing about this is that it is basically meal in a bowl so I don’t need to worry about making sides to pair with it, although I’m sure no one would be complaining about some fresh garlic bread to go with it. Right?
With all the fresh vegetables in season right now it’s the perfect thing to make! A great way to use up those garden fresh vegetables.
Try it soon! It’s destined to become a new summertime staple!
Also if you love tortellini, be sure to check out more of my favorite tortellini recipes linked below.
Ingredients for This Cheese Tortellini Recipe
- Zucchini and yellow squash – this recipe is the perfect way to use up the abundance of this summer vegetable in season right now!
- Red bell pepper – yellow or orange bell pepper will work too if that’s what you have, green will work too but the color may not end up as appealing.
- Red onion – this adds lots of flavor, don’t omit it.
- Button mushrooms – don’t like mushrooms? Substitute with another vegetable like eggplant or just add some black olives in at the end.
- Grape or cherry tomatoes – these work better than slices or chunks would here since they won’t add tons of excess moisture.
- Olive oil – use standard refined olive oil here to toss with vegetables (not extra-virgin) since veggies are roasted at a high temperature. Extra virgin olive oil has a lower smoke point.
- Garlic – as always stick with fresh garlic for best flavor.
- Three cheese tortellini – you could also try it with a chicken or sausage tortellini too.
- Fresh spinach – I don’t recommend using frozen spinach here, it will be too wet and soggy for roasting.
- Pesto – I prefer this fresh pesto but store-bought will work great too.
- Parmesan cheese – this is for serving, because can you ever have too much cheese!
How to Make Tortellini with Pesto and Roasted Vegetables:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place zucchini, squash, bell pepper, onion and mushrooms on a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet.
- Drizzle veggies with olive oil and season with salt and pepper then toss to evenly coat.
- Roast in preheated oven 10 minutes, then remove, add tomatoes and garlic and toss.
- Roast 10 minutes longer or until veggies are tender then remove add spinach and toss, roast 1 minute longer or until spinach has wilted.
- Meanwhile cook tortellini.
How to Cook Tortellini:
- Usually for refrigerated store-bought tortellini packages instruct to bring unsalted water to a boil, then adding tortellini and letting boil for 4 – 7 minutes depending on the brand. Also some brands recommend boiling with 1 Tbsp olive oil to reduce sticking.
- Drain tortellini then pour into a large bowl.
- Add in roasted veggies and pesto and season with salt and pepper to taste then toss to evenly coat.
- Serve warm, top each serving with parmesan cheese.
Can I Use Shelf Stable or Frozen Tortellini Pasta?
I will leave this one up to you. It really comes down to personal preference – if you like the flavor of the shelf stable or frozen tortellini then yes it will work just fine. I personally just really like the refrigerated kind best.
Can I Make it in Advance or Serve it Cold?
This will make delicious leftovers so yes you could make it in advance. And personally I prefer it warm but it could also be eaten cold from the fridge too like a pasta salad. I guess cold zucchini and squash isn’t my thing.
Can I Substitute Other Vegetables?
Yes. Fell free to use up other vegetables you may already have on hand for others you have here. This is another good blend you could use instead HERE.
More Delicious Cheese Tortellini Recipes to Try!
- Creamy Spinach and Tomato Tortellini
- Creamy Tortellini Minestrone
- Sausage Spinach and Marinara Tortellini
- Tortellini with Butternut Squash Kale and Bacon
- Tortellini Chicken Noodle Soup
- Spinach Artichoke Tortellini
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
Follow Cooking Classy
Tortellini with Pesto and Roasted Veggies
A great way to eat lots of veggies at once! Store bought four cheese tortellini is tossed with bright flavorful pesto and a variety of colorful roasted veggies. A delicious, easy dinner you'll want to make again and again! Preferably boil tortellini during last 7 minutes of veggies roasting so they'll both finish and be warm at the same time.
- 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed, sliced into half moons
- 2 medium yellow squash, ends trimmed, sliced into half moons
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into 3/4-inch squares
- 1/2 large red onion, diced into 3/4-inch squares
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced fairly thick
- 1 (10.5 oz) pkg. grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (20 oz) pkg. refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 4 cups (4 oz) fresh spinach
- 2/3 cup homemade or store-bought pesto, recipe HERE
- Finely shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place zucchini, squash, bell pepper, onion and mushrooms on a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet.
Drizzle veggies with olive oil and season with salt and pepper then toss to evenly coat.
Roast in preheated oven 10 minutes, then remove, add tomatoes and garlic and toss.
Roast 10 minutes longer or until veggies are tender then remove add spinach and toss, roast 1 minute longer or until spinach has wilted.
While veggies are roasting cook tortellini according to directions listed on package and drain.
Pour drained tortellini into a large bowl. Add in roasted veggies and pesto and season with salt and pepper to taste then toss to evenly coat.
Serve warm, top each serving with parmesan cheese.