Is it an omelet or an omlette? Apparently it’s both but I’m just going to go with omelet because it’s shorter. I already have spelling probs then they’ve got to go and throw in two different versions for words, the madness! :) More importantly though is how delicious this Baked Denver Omelet is!
I used to make omelets all the time but I think I stopped because now I have 4 people to cook for instead of just one. So now, the majority of the time I just go with scrambled eggs and I top them with sliced avocados. Now that I’ve discovered baked omelets though it’s likely going to become the way I make eggs much of the time. My whole family loved this oven baked version and it was so easy to make. Plus you most definitely don’t need to be a pro omelet shaper, you just add it all to a baking dish pop it in the oven and voila! A delicious low carb meal your whole family will love! Not to mention it’s a very versatile recipe, if you don’t like those veggies listed choose some you do and if you’d like swap out that ham for bacon or sausage or omit it for a (lacto-ovo) vegetarian omelet.
Baked Denver Omelet
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (chop veggies small)
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup (heaping) chopped cooked ham (I used a fully cooked bone-in ham steak)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocados , for serving (optional)
- Chopped chives and hot sauce , for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 7 by 11-inch or 9 by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle ham into an even layer in bottom of baking dish.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add red and green bell peppers and onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Evenly pour pepper mixture over ham layer then sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs and milk until well blended. Season with salt and pepper and stir, then pour over mixture in baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until puffy and set, about 22 - 25 minutes. Cut and serve warm with avocado slices and optional chives and hot sauce.
- Recipe source: inspired by Taste of Home