Do you need much more in life than this colorfully fruit laced, sweet cream cheese frosted, decadently delicious and over-the-top brownie goodness? This is what I call the finer things in life. This Brownie Fruit Pizza couldn’t be more enticing to me with all of it’s vibrant, naturally gorgeous fruit plus that combo of cream cheese frosting and brownies! Seriously no self restraint here, good-bye. Hello Brownie Fruit Pizza! Yes, yes, and yes!! I think we should have one of these every weekend :).
I made a few brownie bases trying to get the best flavor and texture and this one was my favorite. It’s perfectly chocolatey, it’s not too rich. It’s what I’d considered a kid friendly brownie or similar to the boxed kind – but of course better. It doesn’t overwhelm the flavor of the fruit or frosting, each layer here just compliments the other and when you bite through each of them together it’s simply dreamy. Talk about dessert bliss!
I think the fruit that works best here are those that pair well with chocolate – berries, bananas and kiwi. I wasn’t so sure about the kiwi, I wanted them for their green color, but they actually were delicious on this. Just be sure to wait and add the fruit until you are ready to serve it because their juices will start to break down and make that already soft cream cheese frosting runny. Then as noted in the recipe the apple jelly is totally optional, it’s not for flavor. It’s only purpose is for looks as it adds a nice glossy shine to the fruit.
Now save this recipe because you definitely need to try it at least once this summer! It will be perfect for any get together or special occasion, I mean who wouldn’t love this? It’s destined to become a family favorite. Now pass me a large slice please :).
Brownie Fruit Pizza
- 2/3 cup (95g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (70g) unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pan
- 1 Tbsp (9g) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (160g) packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable or canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (60g) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Frosting and fruit
- 6 oz . cream cheese , softened
- 1 cup (120g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh fruit of various colors for topping (recommended are strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, blueberries, blackberries, bananas)
- 2 Tbsp apple jelly (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a deep dish 12-inch pizza pan (be sure it's at least 3/4-inch deep) or a 12-inch cake pan then line with a round of parchment paper on bottom, butter parchment and dust pan with 1 tsp cocoa powder. Set aside. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together granulated sugar, brown sugar, melted butter and vegetable oil. Blend in eggs one at a time while adding in vanilla with the last egg. Add in flour mixture and mix just until combined then mix in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread into an even layer, then wiggle pan to level. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out free of batter about 18 - 22 minutes. Remove from oven and set on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, blend together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth and slightly fluffy. Spread over cooled brownies, cover and transfer to fridge and chill for at least 30 minutes (or up to 1 day). Add fruit just before serving (because the fruit will begin to break down and make the topping runny) then if desired warm 2 Tbsp apple jelly, whisk to smooth and spread over fruit with a pastry brush. Cut into slices and serve immediately for best results.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy