If there’s a food out there that includes peanut sauce I already know I love it. So before I had even made these Chicken, Veggie and Brown Rice Bowls with Peanut Sauce I was already in love but once I tasted them I was totally smitten! They’re easy to make, they have the perfect blend of flavors and when all the different textures here come together it’s oh so satisfying. These bowls are packed with nutrition plus they are so hearty and filling. They do have a few steps but they are very easy to make and come together pretty quickly (the only drab part is that 50 minute brown rice cook time. Feel free to use leftover brown rice or substitute instant brown rice or quinoa for a quicker option, then you should be able to have this meal ready in about 30 minutes). These are also perfect for meal prep if you are into that, I had one bowl then saved the rest for my husband for lunches and he couldn’t be happier.
To keep this meal simple I decided to go with rotisserie chicken. You can cook your own chicken, preferably bone-in breasts for more flavor or chicken thighs. Or grilled chicken breasts would be another great option. I don’t recommend skimping out on any of the topping ingredients, each one really does just adds a delicious flavor and texture and each ingredient together is what really makes these bowls sing! Then don’t be shy with the peanut sauce because we all know that’s the best part!
Chicken Veggie and Brown Rice Bowls with Peanut Sauce
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken breast
- 2 medium (22 oz) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 large red bell pepper , thinly sliced then chopped into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/3 cup peanuts , chopped
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp sriracha , or more to taste
- 3 Tbsp water
- Cook rice in salted boiling water according to directions on package.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray (I like to use a dark baking sheet, if you have one. It helps brown the potatoes better). Place potatoes in a mound on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and toss. Sprinkle evenly with cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt and pepper and toss to evenly coat. Spread into an even layer. Roast in preheated oven until tender, about 20 minutes, tossing once halfway through. Meanwhile, prepare peanut sauce as listed below.
- Layer rice among 4 serving bowls. Top with chicken, sweet potatoes, bell pepper and cilantro. Drizzle over peanut sauce and sprinkle with peanuts. Serve warm.
- For the peanut sauce:
- Whisk together all ingredients. Heat in microwave just before serving for 20 - 30 seconds to warm and for a runnier consistency if desired.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy