It’s that time of year where most of us could probably use a few more greens in our diet between all those cookies :). Here is a simple Cranberry Spinach Salad with a Sesame Seed Dressing that would be perfect to serve on Christmas. It’s got the perfect blend of sweet + savory + toasted crunchy goodness and you’ll love every last bite of it. This salad is a breeze to make and the only chopping required is for the shallot, gotta love that!
For this recipe you can use either store bought toasted sesame seeds or you can toast up some white sesame seeds yourself. I toasted my own but I’m sure I didn’t get them golden enough. I tried to toast the almonds and sesame seeds at the same time and the almonds browned quicker surprisingly, so lesson learned. Next time I’ll toast the almonds in the oven on the cookie sheet then the sesame seeds just in a skillet. It was still completely delicious though plus with how easy it was to make I’m sure this will making plenty of appearances on my dinner table! I also didn’t add poppy seeds this time around, next time I’ll add them and see which way I like it better. I’m sure it would even be good with just poppy seeds and no sesame seeds. That’s the beauty of making a salad, they’re so versatile and there’s always room to switch things up.
- 16 oz baby spinach
- 1 cup almonds, toasted
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp finely minced shallot
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
- For the dressing: In a bowl or jar whisk together white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in olive oil, honey, shallot, sesame seeds (your sesame seeds should look more golden than mine - I didn't toast mine long enough) and optional poppy seeds until mixture is well blended.
- For the salad:
- Add spinach, almonds and cranberries to a salad bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss. Serve immediately after adding dressing.
- Recipe source: adapted from Allrecipes