Another delicious soup to add to the recipe rotation! I really can never have enough soup recipes, especially when they are this creamy and loaded with goodness!
Growing up we ate a lot of potato soup. My mom would make it either with ham (when we had a left over roast) or with hot dogs. I know ew (this is where Jimmy Fallon steps in – EYW! I love those skits), but when you are a kid – awesome! I just don’t know how my mom chocked that down. I know it was more economical, but as an adult I’d just rather have the plan potato vs tossing in chunks of hot dogs. But thanks Mom for thinking of your children :).
Lately I’m really loving chowders (and they always make me want to say chowda!), so I added in more than just the ham. This also has bacon, corn and chives and they are a completely amazing addition. Can you ever go wrong with adding bacon? I’ll take some on my breakfast cereal please (only kidding , but I’ll definitely take it as a side to my cereal any day of the week).
This soup is completely satisfying and it is one you will want to make time and time again. I know it makes my old favorite traditional potato soup look boring so I think this one is going to be made quite a bit more often, it’s definitely my new favorite potato soup recipe. Besides it gives me another excuse to buy a ham roast (not that you need to use ham roast, I just think it’s the highest quality type of ham vs buying one that has been processed with added fillers and it’s shaped into whatever portion they choose. If ham roast is what you are using for this recipe, I wouldn’t recommend adding the brown sugary glaze – you wont want sweetness in the soup. The fresh corn adds plenty). We got 4 meals out of one ham roast, and every time I buy them and that happens I’m wondering why wait until the holidays to buy them.
I made this soup twice this week because I loved it so much. I had my mom over the second time I made it and she couldn’t stop saying how delicious it was. My mom is actually a picky eater and a tough critic so that says something.
Enjoy yet another soup recipe everyone! I’m sure they’re will be plenty more to come since I’m soup obsessed.
Creamy Ham Potato and Corn Chowder
- 2 cups cooked ham , diced into small cubes (I used left over ham roast, ham steak works too)
- 6 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 5 1/2 Tbsp butter , divided
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 carrots , peeled and diced (3/4 cup)
- 2 celery stalks , diced (3/4 cup)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 medium red potatoes (1 3/4 lb), diced into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream or heavy cream (I've tried and like both versions)
- Chives for topping
- In a large pot, melt 1 1/2 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Add chicken broth, potatoes, oregano, thyme, and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste (slightly under-season with salt as the ham and bacon will add more saltiness to soup). Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and allow to cook until potatoes are very tender, about 17 - 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce to warm heat, stir in ham and corn.
- In a medium saucepan, melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook mixture, stirring constantly, 1 1/2 minutes. While whisking, slowly add in milk, and whisk vigorously to smooth lumps, season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil and allow to thicken, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, stir in sour cream or cream. Pour and stir milk mixture into soup mixture. Serve warm topped with bacon and chives.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy, inspired by Damn Delicious