Lately I’ve been getting some of the best citrus I’ve ever had at the grocery store lately, which surprised me because I thought it was out of season but apparently it’s not. So I’ve had an abundance of oranges in my fridge and decided to make them into something healthy. And here we’ve got this incredibly delicious Kale and Orange Salad that has such a delicious Orange-White Balsamic Vinaigrette. Then it’s got the other salad musts – cheese and nuts. I used goat cheese, toasted almonds and threw in some green onions for even more flavor to this bright, citrusy salad! Yes indeed, I’m loving everything about this salad!
Raw kale never used to be my thing until I started adding it into salads and smoothies. Have you tried my Autumn Apple Quinoa and Kale Salad recipe yet (talk about healthy!)? Or there’s my Berry Avocado Quinoa Kale Salad, you ought to try that one too, it’s packed with goodness. And as far as smoothies go you can add Kale to just about any of them. I do prefer baby kale for smoothies but some of them 9if they have enough citrus) I think the curly kale or lacinato kale is fine (here are two if you are looking for a place to start with kale smoothies 1, 2). Kale and citrus though was meant to be that is why this salad is perfect! You get crisp, tender kale, sweet and lightly tart oranges, creamy, tangy goat cheese, rich toasted crunchy almonds, and then it’s finished with a sweet and sour over-the-top delicious vinaigrette! Trust me this is a salad you want to try! Feel free to sub. navel oranges for the blood orange if you can’t find them or if they cost 3x as much as the navel. I’m just obsessed with their pretty color so the extra cost is worth it to me :).
- 1 bunch curly kale (about 9 oz), thick ribs removed, remaining thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 blood orange, peeled and sliced into rounds then halved (navel orange can be substituted)
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented
- 3 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice*
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (do scant if using table salt)
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- For the salad:
- Add kale, half of the almonds, half of the green onions and the mandarin oranges to a salad bowl. Pour over vinaigrette dressing then toss salad. Top with remaining almonds and green onions, add blood oranges and goat cheese and serve.
- For the vinaigrette:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together all ingredients. Chill until ready to serve.
- *If you don't want to buy a navel orange for the juice you could sub mandarin orange juice if you bought a pack of them.
- Recipe source: inspired by Spoon Fork Bacon