It’s true, I might be a little crazy about soups lately, and I’m sure I’ll have many more to share the next few months because when it’s 10 degrees outside soup and a hot bath are the only things that will get me through the cold season. Also I might be sneaking around cranking up the heat. My husband and I have this constant battle all year about what temperature we are going to set our thermostat at, he’s got to have a warmer body temperature than me because in the summer he wants it set at 70 when I’d be fine at 76 and in the winter he wants it at 68, or less, and I’m thinking that 76 sounds good again. We always end up compromising in the middle, but is it just me or do men seem to handle the cold better and women handle the heat better? Oh well, at least we can all agree on soups like this.
This soup is definitely one of my new favorites! My mom came and ate with us and she couldn’t get over how delicious it was either. The best part, it’s healthy! Just check out the ingredients list, it’s packed with nutrition (and then feta for good measure of course, right?).
If you haven’t tried farro, I’m thinking it’s most similar to brown rice (which would probably make a great alternative if you are having a hard time finding farro at your local grocery stores). I love the body and slight chew the farro gives to the soup. It also makes it incredibly filling. I’m trying to add more whole grains to my diet other than just the trendy quinoa and this soup will definitely be going in my rotation. My 5 year old even said it was one of her favorite soups and asked for more. All around win!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup carrots diced (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup slightly packed parsley sprigs (stems included)
- 4 cups slightly packed chopped kale, thick ribs removed
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Feta cheese, crumbled, for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and celery and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Stir in vegetable broth, tomatoes, farro, oregano, bay leaf and season with salt to taste. Lay parsley in a mound on top of soup and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat just below medium. Cover and cook 20 minutes, then remove parsley, stir in kale and cook 10 - 15 minutes longer, adding in cannellini beans during last few minutes of cooking, until both farro and kale are tender.
- Remove bay leaf, stir in lemon juice and add additional vegetable broth or some water to thin soup as desired (the farro will absorb more liquid as the soup rests). Serve warm topping each serving with feta cheese.
- Recipe source: adapted from BHG