There aren’t many recipes I post I tell you that you have to try but please let this be one of them! I’m head over heels in love with this delicious Moroccan Couscous with Roasted Vegetables, Chick Peas, and Almonds! I love the blend of moroccan flavors here and I also really love all the texture going on (think itty bitty couscous, soft roasted veggies, crunchy almonds, chewy raisins and tender chick peas). And in case you missed it I recently shared a Moroccan Grilled Chicken recipe that pairs perfectly with this couscous and completes the meal. It’s a meal I’m excited to make again and again and again!!
I found the recipe for this couscous from via Pinterest from Scrumpdillyicious. I tweaked it a little for the flavor blend and ratio I liked but I’m fairly new to Moroccan food and I was so excited to try out her recipe and it definitely didn’t disappoint! And normally I’m not one that get’s super excited about leftovers but I was so happy that there was some of this left after dinner because I ate it for lunch for the next two days and enjoyed it down to the last bite! If you are getting bored of the same recipes I highly recommend adding this one to your rotation, can I talk it up enough?? Just try it and you’ll see why I love it so much!
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 medium carrots, halved through length and sliced fairly thin
- 1 small red onion, diced into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, halved through the length and sliced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cups dry couscous
- 1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 (14 oz) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Spray a 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place bell pepper, carrots, onions and zucchini on baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil and season with salt and toss to evenly coat. Roast in preheated oven about 15 minutes until tender, tossing once halfway through roasting. Then if desired move oven rack closer to broiler and broil for about 1 - 2 minutes to add a light char.
- While vegetables are roasting, in a small mixing bowl whisk together remaining 3 Tbsp olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and season with 1/4 tsp salt, set aside. Bring chicken broth, 1/2 tsp salt and turmeric to a boil. Place couscous and raisins in a large mixing bowl, pour hot chicken broth over couscous and stir, cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add roasted vegetables, chick peas, almonds and lemon mixture to couscous and toss to evenly coat, while seasoning with a little more salt to taste as desired. Serve warm.
- Recipe source: adapted from Scrumpdillyicious