This Carrot Salad with Chick Peas, Feta and Almonds is packed with fresh, well spiced moroccan flavors that will leave everyone wanting more! Carrots are par-boiled here for a perfectly crisp-tender texture.
It’s a healthy side dish that pairs well with chicken, beef, or lamb.
The Perfect Carrot Salad
You guys I just got thee best compliment today – my daughter claimed this Moroccan Carrot Chick Pea Salad to be better than butter noodles! Hahaha.
Coming from her though, buttered spaghetti noodles with salt are her favorite food so I was pretty excited to hear it! Especially since this is much healthier.
I’d have to say though that this is one of my favorite salad recipes too! Most definitely not your typical green salad but such a flavorful, well blended salad.
If you haven’t had Moroccan food all these spices and ingredients together would seem really strange but let me tell you they are oh sooo good together!
Recipe adapted from Scrumptious South Africa Blog.
The Ingredients for Carrot Salad
- Chick peas
- Raisins (golden or red)
- Sliced almonds
- Fresh parsley and mint
For the Dressing
- Olive oil
- Orange and lemon
- Spices – cumin, paprika, cinnamon, ginger, coriander
How to Make Moroccan Carrot Salad
- Whisk dressing ingredients.
- Pair boil carrots.
- Toss all salad ingredients in a bowl with dressing, chill and let flavors meld.
- Add feta, and herbs then serve.
What Should I Serve With It?
I served this carrot salad with my Grilled Moroccan Chicken and just a plain tricolor quinoa. It was one of my favorite meals I’ve had this year and my whole family loved it!
Can I Serve it Warm?
It’s perfectly refreshing serve chilled in the summer but you can serve it warm as well. I do like when it’s cold that the dressing coats the salad a little better, plus it allows more time for all the flavors to meld together. Try it both ways and see which is your favorite.
More Moroccan Recipes You’ll Love
- Moroccan Spiced Salmon with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Moroccan Couscous with Roasted Vegetables and Chick Peas
- Moroccan Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
- Moroccan Sweet Potato Salad
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Moroccan Carrot Salad with Chick Peas Feta and Almonds
- For the dressing:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, garlic, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, ginger, and coriander. Season with salt to taste (about 3/4 tsp). Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Drop in carrots, set timer for 4 minutes then check one carrot to make sure it's tender crisp (a very light snap to it when you bite into it). If it's not just tender then cook another 1 minute or until just tender. Drain carrots then transfer to a salad bowl, immediately pour dressing over top and toss to evenly coat. Toss in chick peas and raisins. Chill 30 - 60 minutes (note that you can serve this warm the dressing just won't be as thick, plus the resting period allows time for flavors to meld).
- Remove from refrigerator (or chill up to 1 day) toss in almonds, about 2/3 of the feta, the parsley and mint. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/3 of the feta and serve.
- Recipe source: adapted from Scrumptious South Africa