We all love the Classic Potato Salad, but have you made a Sweet Potato Salad yet? This tasty Moroccan Sweet Potato Salad is a new summertime (or fall) must! It is such a satisfying potato salad and something fun and different to add to the menu.
Sweet Potato Salad
This Moroccan Sweet Potato Salad has the most delicious blend of flavors! You get that natural sweetness from the potatoes paired with a bright tangy citrus dressing, which also includes generous blend of spices, and it’s finished with plenty of fresh herbs for even more flavor.
Then the crunchy sliced almonds and chewy dried cranberries add a nice balance of texture. And what to serve with it? This is a great salad to pair along with grilled or roasted chicken.
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
To cook the sweet potatoes for this recipe you’ll roast them. And you can use this same method for other recipes as well, or just to eat plain roasted sweet potatoes as a side.
You start out with 2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes/yams. Peel them, then dice into small cubes (about 3/4-inch). Place on a greased 18 by 13-inch baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil (about 2 Tbsp) then toss to evenly coat. Season with salt and pepper then roast in a preheated 425 degree oven until tender, tossing once halfway through, about 20 minutes total.
Minimize the Ingredients
If you want to cut down on the ingredients for this sweet potato salad a little here’s what you can omit without impacting flavor too much: orange and orange zest, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne pepper and mint. I know it’s a long list so I thought I ought to throw that out there in case you don’t already have a lot of these ingredients on hand.
Add it all or go with the simplified version, either way you’ll have a perfectly delicious side dish!
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Moroccan Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
- Cinnamon Honey Butter Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Broccoli
- Honey Lime Sweet Potato Black Bean and Corn Tacos
Follow Cooking Classy
Moroccan Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes/yams (such as red garnet), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 5 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange juice + 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh mint (or more cilantro)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray an 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, then place sweet potatoes on baking sheet.
- Drizzle sweet potatoes with 2 Tbsp olive oil, season lightly with salt and pepper and toss to coat, spread into an even layer.
- Roast in preheated oven until just tender, tossing once halfway through, about 20 minutes total.
- Meanwhile in a small mixing bowl whisk together 3 Tbsp olive oil, lemon juice, orange juice, orange zest, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove potatoes from oven, immediately pour into a bowl then pour dressing over potatoes and gently toss with a rubber spatula to coat.
- Let rest for about 5 minutes to absorb dressing, tossing once halfway through.
- Toss in parsley, cilantro and mint and serve. Note that this will store well in refrigerator for a day and rewarm the following day.
- Recipe source: inspired by Roots by Dianne Morgan