Baked Sweet Potato Fries are one of the best side dishes! These are sweet and salty, they’re perfectly flavorful, they’re healthy and they are just totally satisfying. Plus, they are easy to make!
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
I live for sweet potato fries! As a matter of fact, I like them more than regular fries.
They have more flavor, and I love that little bit of natural sweetness. Maybe it’s that after 30+ years of regular russet fries it’s fun to have something new. Plus, these roasted sweet potato slices are a great way for me to get my family to eat their veggies, especially my kids. They love these!
I like this baked version of sweet potato fries because they’re healthier than their deep fried option.
I won’t sit around and say these are crispiest baked sweet potato fries you’ll ever eat, but they are incredibly tasty! They will get slightly crisp edges as long as you let them brown up a bit.
And of course they are the perfect side dish to just about any meal, fries go with anything – at least we could say homemade sweet potato fries do, right?
Everyone will love these! People will be heading back for more and soon enough there won’t be a fry left!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries Ingredients
Crispy baked sweet potato fries require surprisingly few ingredients. In fact, the sweet potato fries seasoning used in this recipe is made up of just four simple spices!
Here’s what you’ll need to make homemade sweet potato fries:
- Sliced sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic Powder
How to Cut Sweet Potato Fries
Never made roasted sweet potato fries before? If you’re not familiar with how to cut sweet potato fries, here’s my go-to method (this makes thicker sweet potato wedges rather than skinny fries):
- Cut off the very ends of the sweet potato.
- Slice the sweet potato in half length-wise.
- Place one half of the sweet potato cut side down.
- Slice lengthwise again to make larger wedges.
- Repeat with the other sweet potato half.
If your sweet potatoes are very thick, you may need to initially cut each into thirds rather than in half.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries
- Set the oven to a high temperature.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil and toss with spices and cornstarch.
- Then bake until tender, easy as that!
How Long to Bake Sweet Potato Fries?
These homemade sweet potato fries need to bake for around 25 minutes in total. Make sure to stir the fries halfway through the bake time to ensure they brown all the way around.
Do You Have to Peel Sweet Potatoes?
You can leave the skin on the sweet potatoes, if desired. Just give the potatoes a good scrub under warm water before slicing them.
Sweet Potato Fry Dipping Sauce
When we go to a good burger restaurant, I’ll always get the sweet potato fries — and the fry sauce is a must. I mean, I’d be totally happy sitting down to a meal of just baked sweet potato fries. If I didn’t have kids to feed, I’d probably be doing that all the time.
If you are like me and just don’t really know how to eat sweet potato fries without fry sauce, here’s a simple recipe:
- Mix 1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use half light, half regular)
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- A pinch of cayenne
Tips for the Best Sweet Potato Fries
- Slice the sweet potatoes as evenly as possible so they bake at the same rate.
- Preheat the baking pan before spreading the fries over it. This helps the outsides crisp up.
- You’ll know when the oven baked sweet potato fries are ready to come out of the oven when they have brown spots on them.
What to Eat With Sweet Potato Fries:
- Crispy Baked Chicken Strips
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Grilled Greek Lemon Chicken
- Veggie and Hummus Sandwich
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese
- Sloppy Joes
- Turkey Burgers
Follow Cooking Classy
These are a healthier alternative to your favorite restaurant fried sweet potatoes fries but they still have the same delicious flavor! Easy to make and the whole family can agree on these!
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch thick sticks (cut really long sticks in half)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, and place a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet in oven to preheat as well.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together cornstarch, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- Place sliced sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil then pour cornstarch mixture over sweet potatoes and toss to evenly coat.
- Remove baking sheet from oven then pour sweet potatoes onto baking sheet and spread into an even layer working to keep a little space between them (careful pan will be hot!).
- Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes then remove from oven and toss and spread into an even layer again.
- Return to oven and bake until until fries are golden brown in spots, about 10 minutes longer.
- Serve warm with fry sauce (see notes in post for fry sauce recipe) or ketchup if desired.
Slice the sweet potatoes as evenly as possible so they bake at the same rate.