I guess between all the desserts I make I need to eat healthy sometimes. Usually I do always eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, and a mostly healthy dinner so it sort of makes up for the fact that I have some kind of dessert or chocolate every day after dinner. I mean sure I ate a cream and cream cheese and sugar packed cheesecake mousse after dinner but I had this for lunch so that dessert is totally justified in my book. I actually do love veggies, I just feel good when I eat them. So it only makes sense to pack as many veggies as humanly possible into sandwich slathered with a generous amount of freshly made hummus (because hummus is always good with veggies!). And it only get’s better when you use a multi-grain + seed bread.
You may look at this and think it seriously needs some kind of meat, like deli turkey or bacon but really with all the hummus it has enough flavor without it (it wouldn’t hurt to add them though if you can’t resist). Plus, with how many many veggies are packed in this it makes for a perfectly filling lunch (or dinner). I tried this sandwich with and without cheese and like it both ways. If you’d like to add some it’s good with sliced havarti or provolone cheese. Now I can’t wait for lunch again today since I still have plenty of veggies left to make more sandwiches! Who knew veggies could be exciting?
Follow Cooking Classy
Veggie and Hummus Sandwich
- 4 slices hearty whole grain bread, toasted
- 1/3 cup hummus, see notes for recipe
- 2 slices havarti or provolone cheese (optional)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup peeled and grated carrots
- 8 peeled cucumber slices
- 6 avocado slices
- 4 tomato slices
- Small handful sliced red onion (optional), rinsed under water
- 1/2 cup broccoli or alfalfa sprouts
- For the sandwiches: Spread hummus over bread slices. Divide sandwich ingredients over two of the slices, season lightly with salt to taste (preferably over the tomato or cucumber layer).
- Top with remaining slices. Serve immediately.
- Hummus recipe HERE.