The Ultimate Turkey Burger! Made with everyday ingredients and they taste just as good as a beefy hamburger! They take less than 10 minutes prep and 10 minutes cook time, meaning you can have dinner ready in 20 minutes, talk about must have recipe!
Homemade Turkey Burgers Recipe
Oh and did I mention there’s no grill required here? Meaning no waiting for the grill to preheat, and you can make these 365 days a year even on those cold winter days.
These delicious turkey burgers turn out juicy and flavorful every time! Nothing complicated, just a straight forward method and a good sear and you’ve got a dinner or lunch everyone will enjoy.
Turkey Burger Video
Of course they’re the perfect thing to make for summer parties but it’s also a great recipe for busy weeknights with the minimal prep and short cook time.
I serve them two ways, either in buns with toppings or protein style with just lettuce leaves, mashed avocado and other toppings. They’re good enough though you could even just serve them plain.
If you’ve never tried a turkey burger or if you normally opt for the pre-formed patties I highly recommend trying these, you won’t be disappointed!
Ingredients for Turkey Burgers
- Lean ground turkey – I recommend sticking with Jennie-O brand, it’s not nearly as wet as some other brands.
- Dried breadcrumbs – preferably unseasoned. Homemade or store-bought works great.
- Salt and pepper – keep in mind you may be adding salty toppings so don’t overdue it. 1/2 tsp salt seems just about right.
- Garlic powder and onion powder – I like that these are more mild than fresh so the aren’t overpowering flavors here.
- Mayonnaise – these keep the burgers nice and juicy. I prefer light mayonnaise but regular will work too.
- Worcestershire sauce – this helps mimic that rich flavor of a traditional beef burger. It may be a small amount but it adds lots of depth.
- Olive oil – I like to keep it healthy with olive oil but vegetable oil will work great too. You’ll only need a little for searing.
How to Make the Best Turkey Burger
- Mix all ingredients except oil: add ground turkey to a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle in breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Add mayonnaise and drizzle in Worcestershire sauce.
- Gently toss and break up meat mixture to evenly blend.
- Shape into patties: divide into 4 equal portions and shape into patties about 1/2-inch thick.
- Heat the skillet: preheat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes.
- Sear and cook burgers through: add turkey patties and sear until browned on bottom, about 4 – 5 minutes, flip and continue to cook until cooked through, about 4 – 5 minutes longer.
How to Tell When a Turkey Burger is Done?
Insert an instant read thermometer in to the center of the turkey patty (halfway through the thickness) it should register 165 degrees when it’s fully cooked through.
Can I Grill Them?
Yes these could also be grilled over medium high heat (it should take approximately 4 – 6 minutes per side). If doing so you may want to freeze for 10 minutes first to help the patties hold their shape even better.
Can I Make the Patties in Advance?
Yes you can prep the patties a day in advance, just keep in mind they may stick the the surface a bit (even on parchment) so you may have to do a little reshaping.
Tips for Turkey Burgers:
- Stick with Jennie-O turkey (not sponsored). It isn’t so wet (as some other brands I’ve used in the past are) and holds it shape well.
- Use a little mayo. It keeps them nice and juicy.
- Preheat the skillet so you get an nicely browned exterior on the burgers.
- Use an instant read thermometer to take the internal temperature. Not only for food safety but if you cook much past 165 burgers will start to dry out.
- Serve immediately. Warm burgers are always best so have your toppings ready to go when the burgers are about to finish up. I like to prep the toppings as the burgers are cooking to make the best use of time.
What are the Best Sides for Turkey Burgers?
- Grilled Corn on the Cob + 3 Flavored Butters (or boiled corn)
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges
- Potato Salad (made with light mayonnaise)
- Fruit Salad or fresh chilled fruit
More Sandwich Recipes You’ll Love:
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
- Add ground turkey to a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle in breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Add mayonnaise and drizzle in Worcestershire sauce.
- Gently toss and break up meat mixture to evenly blend. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into patties about 1/2-inch thick.
- Preheat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes.
- Add turkey patties and sear until golden brown on bottom, about 4 - 5 minutes, flip and continue to cook until cooked through, about 4 - 5 minutes longer. Center should register 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- Serve warm in hamburger buns or lettuce leaves with toppings of choice.
- *I've tried making these with other brands of ground turkey and they are too sticky. Jennie-O turkey isn't so wet and easy to work with.
- Good toppings include mashed avocado, red onion, sliced tomatoes, dill pickle coins, ketchup and mustard, light mayo mixed with ketchup, or bacon and provolone cheese if you want to splurge.
- Nutrition is for patties only, does not include buns or toppings as that amount will vary based on what you use.