A go-to main ingredient for a quick and easy dinner at my house is so frequently tortellini. I love love love tortellini! I mean cheese stuffed in pasta, how could you go wrong with that? It’s just not possible. Whomever came up with the idea way back when is totally genius. I’ve been eating it as long as I can remember, my mom often served it growing up because like I just mentioned, it makes for an easy meal and she was a full-time working single mother of six. We usually just had it with some sort of tomato sauce and cream mixture but I was perfectly fine with that as a kid. Now I add in allll the garlic, tomatoes, basil…you know, the good stuff :).
Someday I’d like to try making tortellini from scratch, but this is real life and who has time for such things? One day I’ll make the time but until then I’m really just pretty content with the tortellini in the refrigerator section at the grocery store. The freezer stuff and the shelf stuff just aren’t my thing though. I’ve added tortellini to plenty of soups (1, 2, 3, 4, and 5) and I more recently I tossed it with fresh pesto and roasted veggies. And let’s not forget the Creamy Spinach Tomato Tortellini. There are so many easy and delicious things you can make with tortellini so today I’m sharing another dish I love, this completely satisfying and delicious One Pan Turkey Sausage, Spinach and Marinara Tortellini. It uses both the store-bought tortellini and a store-bought marinara sauce so it comes together so quickly (you can have it ready in 25 minutes or less), and it’s made more flavorful and filling with the sausage. Then the basil, parsley and spinach offer it that wonderful fresh flavor. This is a recipe you’ll want to make again and again and it’s something the whole family will likely agree on! This is definitely my kind of dinner!
One Pan Turkey Sausage, Spinach and Marinara Tortellini
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 lb hot or sweet turkey sausages , casings removed
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara sauce (I like Classico Four Cheese)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (20 oz) pkg refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 4 cups packed fresh spinach , roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Heat olive oil in an extra-large skillet or a pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds then add sausage break it up a bit and cook, stirring and breaking up sausage occasionally, until sausage has cooked through. Add in marinara sauce, tomatoes, chicken broth and water and bring to a light boil. Add in tortellini, toss and press tortellini down into sauce, reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer until tortellini is cooked through, about 10 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Stir in spinach and parsley, season with pepper to taste (season with salt only if needed, if you used the brand I mentioned you likely won't need it) and toss gently to allow spinach to cook through and wilt. Stir in basil and serve warm.
- Recipe source: inspired by Buitoni