Here’s the perfect autumn cake for a crowd…or the family like mine that’s obsessed with pumpkin cake! Not only does this Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting taste deliciously divine but it’s the perfect thing to make to feed a group of people during the fall season and you’ll love how easy it is to prepare and frost!
This cake has the perfect soft and moist texture, the most irresistible spiced pumpkin flavor, and the sweet, slightly tangy cream cheese frosting just makes this cake shine. It is one of those dangerous desserts to have in your home, trust me I learned the hard way (especially considering I made three of them trying to get the cake perfect and trying to catch decent lighting for pictures. Ugh rainy days). Now I have a close tie between my favorite fall cakes. Among them there’s this layered Pumpkin Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting and this Autumn Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and now adding this one to the list. I guess I’ll just have to rotate the three of them. And I don’t think anyone will be complaining about that.
Even though this is just a sheet cake it will likely be one of the best pumpkin cakes you’ve ever tasted! Everyone will be savoring it down to the last crumb. Add this recipe to your fall baking list, after one taste you’ll be so glad you did!
- 2 1/4 cups (318g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup (210g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (170g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups (425g) canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
- 12 oz. cream cheese, nearly at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, nearly at room temperature
- 4 cups (480g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, set aside. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (preferably an attachment that constantly scrapes bowl, if not attachment doesn't then stop and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl occasionally throughout entire mixing process) blend together granulated sugar and brown sugar until combined and there are no clumps of brown sugar (break them up with your fingertips if needed). Mix in melted butter and oil. Blend in eggs one at a time. Add in pumpkin, vanilla and milk and blend until combined. With mixer set on low speed slowly add in flour mixture and mix until combined. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl and fold batter several times with a spatula to ensure it's evenly incorporated. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 - 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack then frost with cream cheese frosting and top with nuts if desired.
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer whip together butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla and whip for a few minutes until light and fluffy. If needed freeze in bowl for a few minutes then mix again, repeating a few times as needed for a thicker consistency.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy