Pumpkin Cake is a fall staple every year. I think it’s definitely one of the best ways to ring in the fall season. This easy Pumpkin Cake is brimming with those sweet autumn spices, it’s fluffy and perfectly moist, it has plenty of pumpkin flavor, and that luscious cream cheese frosting is the perfect finishing touch! You just can’t go wrong with this cake.
When this time of year rolls around I start hoarding away canned pumpkin. You just can’t have too many pumpkin treats, like this irresistible pumpkin cake.
It’s one of those cakes that will easily be a crowd favorite, plus it’s one of those recipes you’ll just hang on to for life, then hopefully pass down for generations.
It uses pantry staple ingredients and only requires minimal effort. And have I said yet that it’s just soooo dreamy??
What Ingredients do I Need for Pumpkin Cake?
- 1 3/4 cups (255g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
What Ingredients do I Need for Cream Cheese Frosting?
- 8 oz. cream cheese, nearly at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, nearly at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups (420g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Scroll below for printable recipe.
How to Make Pumpkin Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
Whisk Dry Ingredients
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Separately Combine Sugars and Wet Ingredients
Add granulted sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla to a large mixing bowl.
Mix Them Until Combined
Using an electric hand mixer blend until well combined.
Add Dry Ingredients to Wet Ingredients
Pour all of the flour mixture into pumpkin mixture.
Mix Until Flour is Combined
Then blend mixture with electric hand mixer just until combined.
Pour into Greased Baking Dish
Pour into prepared baking dish. Spread evenly or wiggle pan to level.
Bake Until Set
Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick comes out free of batter, about 30 – 35 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Make Cream Cheese Frosting
In a large mixing bowl combined cream cheese, powdered sugar and butter.
Blend Until Smooth
Blend with electric hand mixer (with clean beaters) until smooth and fluffy. Start on low then increase speed to high once it’s blended. It will take about 3 or 4 minutes on high speed to get a fluffy frosting.
Spread Frosting Over Pumpkin Cake
Spread cream cheese frosting over cooled pumpkin cake. Cut into slices and serve immediately or store in fridge. Let rest at room temperature a bit before serving once it’s chilled.
I Don’t Own an Electric Mixer Can I Make This by Hand?
The batter would be easy to blend by hand and you can definitely do that. The frosting won’t be quite as fluffy but it could be mixed by hand.
I’d use a whisk for mixing the cake batter and a rubber spatula to mix the cream cheese frosting. For the frostinhg use room temperature ingredients (not nearly room temperature as listed).
Can I Make My Own Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend?
You can definitely make your own spice blend here in place of the pumpkin pie spice. I used pumpkin pie spice for ease, but a homemade blend would be great. Use 1 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/4 tsp cloves.
Can I Use Applesauce for Oil?
1/2 cup of the oil can be substituted with 1/2 unsweetened applesauce to cut back on the fat slightly. So use you’ll use 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce instead of the 1 cup oil listed.
Can I Use Fresh Pumpkin Puree?
Instead of the canned pumpkin listed, fresh pumpkin puree can be used here as well.
Can I Make this Into a Layer Cake?
I actually have a recipe for pumpkin layer cake HERE. Or there’s my layered Browned Butter Pumpkin Cake with Salted Caramel Frosting.
I hope you love this cake as much as we do! Happy Fall!
More Must Have Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, blend together granulted sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla until well combined.
- Pour flour mixture into pumpkin mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and wiggle pan to level batter.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick comes out free of batter, about 30 - 35 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the cream cheese frosting, in a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer whip together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake. Cover cake and store in refrigerator, bring to room temperature before serving.
- Recipe source: adapted with some changes from Genius Kitchen