This Honey Garlic Chicken baked in the oven instead of fried but still just as delicious! Bite size chicken pieces are coated with crispy panko bread crumbs then baked until tender, then they’re tossed with an addictive sweet and garlicy sauce. So good!!
Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe
Why fry it when you can bake it? Really I absolutely love fried, crispy Chinese chicken buuuuut frying isn’t all that healthy so I now find myself trying to make things with the baked method more often.
The method for crispy chicken here is to cover each piece with egg and panko and bake it instead of coating with flour and deep frying it.
This recipe is quick and easy to make and the end results are perfectly satisfying.
You get Chinese take-out style deliciousness and it’s perfect so serve up any day of the week. Why go out when you can cook something this good at home?
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make It
- Chicken breasts
- Panko bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- Fresh garlic and ginger
- Soy sauce
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a bowl whisk eggs until well blended.
- Pour panko bread crumbs into a shallow dish.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg then panko.
- Bake on baking sheet to cook through.
- Meanwhile make sauce – saute garlic and ginger in oil briefly, remove from heat.
- Add in honey and soy sauce and whisk in water cornstarch slurry.
- Return to heat, boil until thickened about 1 minute.
- Toss chicken with sauce, garnish if desired.
Tips for This Recipe
- Be careful not to over-bake chicken so it’s not dry. Chicken breasts start to dry past 165 degrees.
- Use fresh garlic and ginger for best flavor.
- Don’t cut back on the honey. It makes the sauce perfectly sweet and sticky.
- Be sure to add the sauce just before serving because it will start to soak into the panko and soften it if it sits.
More Asian Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
Baked Honey Garlic Chicken
This Honey Garlic Chicken baked in the oven instead of fried but still just as delicious! Bite size chicken pieces are coated with crispy panko bread crumbs then baked until tender, then they're tossed with an addictive sweet and garlicy sauce. So good!!
- 1 1/2 lbs bonless skinless chicken breasts , diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup water , divided
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp finely peeled and minced ginger
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
In a bowl whisk eggs until well blended. Pour panko bread crumbs into a separate shallow dish.
Dip chicken pieces in egg (I worked in batches of about 6 pieces at a time) then transfer to panko and toss to coat each piece.
Transfer to baking sheet laying them in a single layer. Repeat until all of the chicken has been coated.
Bake chicken in preheated oven until chicken has cooked through (center of larger pieces should register 165 on an instant read thermometer, about 12 - 16 minutes (note that the coating won't be very golden brown, most of the color comes from the sauce so don't over-bake the chicken or it will dry).
While chicken is baking prepare honey garlic sauce. Add 1 Tbsp of the water to a small bowl. Add in cornstarch and whisk until smooth, mix in remaining water then set aside.
Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and saute just until lightly golden to remove the harsh bite, about 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat.
Add in honey and soy sauce and whisk water/cornstarch mixture once more and pour into pan.
Return pan to heat, bring mixture to a boil then allow to boil until thickened, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from heat, cover to keep warm until chicken is done.
Toss chicken with sauce just immediately before serving and sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with rice or cauliflower rice if desired.