Black bean soup definitely doesn’t quite get the attention it deserves. We all hear about broccoli cheese soup, potato soup, vegetable soup, chicken noodle soup and so on but black bean soup isn’t as popular as it should be. It’s so hearty, it’s healthy (mostly, we’ve got a bit of bacon for flavor here) and it’s totally satisfying. Plus it’s so easy to make!
Flavorful Black Bean Soup
You need to make this easy black bean soup! Yes it may seem boring if you’ve never had it, but if you flavor it right by adding in things like bacon, poblano peppers, fire roasted tomatoes, some cumin and some ancho chili powder then incredibly delicious things happen!
Then of course if you finish it off with the bright tones of lime juice and the freshness of cilantro along with the creaminess of avocados and sour cream (or Mexican crema) you just know it’s got to be good.
I mean if anything has bacon and avocado in it then I’ll always approve.
Collection of Black Bean Recipes I Love:
- You can add black beans to tacos (like I’ve done in each here 1, 2, 3).
- You can toss them in to up the protein and fiber of a dish – like in this quick 30 minutes meal.
- Of course they are wonderful in soups (like these options here 1, 2, 3, 4).
- You can add them as part of the stuffing for bell peppers (1) or sweet potatoes (2).
- And don’t we all love them tossed into a green salad?
How To Make Black Bean Soup
- Puree about 1/3 of the black beans with some chicken broth (this will make it nice and creamy).
- Sautee bacon and veggies.
- Stir in chicken broth, black beans, tomatoes and spices.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in fresh lime juice and cilantro and serve with toppings of your choice. So easy!
More Recipes You Might Like
Follow Cooking Classy
Black Bean Soup
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans black beans, divided
- 6 slices bacon (7 oz), chopped into small pieces
- 1 large yellow onion , chopped (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 large poblano pepper , seeded, stemmed and diced small (1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth, divided, then more to thin if desired
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
For serving (optional)
- Sour cream , cheese (shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese), diced avocado, diced roma tomatoes, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips
- Place 1 1/2 cans of drained black beans in a food processor along with 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and pulse until well pureed. Rinse remaining 2 1/2 cans of black beans in a colander. Set all black beans aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until nearly crisp, tossing occasionally. Add in onions and poblano pepper and saute 3 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining chicken broth (3 cups). Add in black beans, black bean puree mixture, fire roasted tomatoes, cumin chili powder and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Thin with more broth if desired. Stir in lime juice and cilantro and serve warm with desired toppings.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy