It’s almost soup season, and you know how I love my soup! Even though it’s still 90 degrees outside we are eating soup every week. This week we had this Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup twice! It is so flavorful and delicious, it’s just one of those soups you’ll want to make time and time again. Even though it calls for a lot of ingredients its easy to throw together and it’s a soup your whole family will love! It tastes just like an cheesy chicken enchilada but in soup form. I love converting some of our favorite dinners into soup!
With the cold season not too far around the corner this a definitely a recipe your going to want to add to your list to try! It’s the perfect comfort food after a long day. So good you’ll likely find yourself heading back for a second bowl! Just be sure to load it up with toppings, that’s the best way to enjoy it!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
Yield: About 5 - 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic minced (1 tbsp)
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts , pounded to an even thickness
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 3/4 cup (7 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese , tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips, diced Roma tomatoes, chopped cilantro, sour cream
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute 2 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Pour in 2 cans of the chicken broth, add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover and boil until chicken has cooked through, about 10 - 15 minutes. Remove chicken to a cutting board and rest 5 minutes then shred or chop.
While chicken is resting, pour canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, ancho chili powder, cumin and coriander into soup. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together remaining 1 can chicken broth with masa harina until well blended and no lumps remain. Pour into soup and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook stirring occasionally until soup has thickened, about 5 - 10 minutes. Stir in black beans and corn and heat through. Reduce heat to low add in cheddar and stir until melted. Stir in up to 3/4 cup water to thin slightly if desired. Serve warm with desired toppings.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy