Creamy Mexican Corn Chowder is the perfect soup to add to your soup rotation! It’s deliciously flavorful and seriously satisfying, plus it uses frozen corn instead of fresh so you can make it any day of the year.
Corn Chowder with Fresh Mexican Flavors
I love all the variation in this soup, yet it all comes together so well. You get lots of veggies – corn, chilies, peppers, tomatoes (I still consider them a veggies) and avocados.
Then you get the protein packed hearty chicken breasts and beans, and it’s all soaking in a rich, creamy, cheesy, Mexican spiced broth. Because it’s all about that base.
Feel free to up the spices here as you’d like I did want to let the flavor of the corn shine, plus I like to start on the lower end with spices because some people don’t like a lot.
You can always add more but you can’t take it out.
Then add more cheese if you like it really cheesy. And even use sharp cheddar for a stronger flavor if you’d prefer.
Ingredients Needed for This Recipe
- Fresh veggies including yellow onion, bell pepper, garlic and avocado
- Whole milk
- Chicken broth
- Canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Frozen petite corn
- Canned mild green chilies
- Spices including cumin, ancho chili powder, S&P
- Canned black beans
- Rotisserie chicken
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Mexican Corn Chowder
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper and saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, saute 1 minute longer. Add in flour and saute 1 minute more.
- While whisking pour in milk and chicken broth. Stir in tomatoes, corn, green chilies, cumin, chili powder and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring mixture to a light boil stirring frequently. Stir in black beans and warm through.
- Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, cheese and cilantro. Serve warm with avocado.
Delicious Toppings Options for This Soup
If you love toppings on your soup feel free to add on:
- Crushed tortilla chips
- More cheese (even a different kind like queso fresco)
- Sour cream
- Fresh lime juice
- Chipotle chile powder
Make a batch then cozy up in your warmest sweater and fluffiest slippers and dig in! Recipes like so are the best way to warm up!
More Recipes You Might Like
Follow Cooking Classy
A creamy, cheesy, veggie and chicken filled soup that's layered with Mexican flavors that are sure to satisfy! Recipe uses frozen corn so you can make this soup any day of the year but in the summer feel free to add in fresh. Just cook the fresh corn beforehand.
- 5 Tbsp butter, diced into 1 Tbsp pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.4 oz) bag frozen petite corn (preferably sweet white and yellow blend. 3 cups)
- 1 (7 oz) can mild green chilies
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese (or a blend of both)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper and saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add garlic, saute 1 minute longer. Add in flour and saute 1 minute more.
While whisking pour in milk and chicken broth. Stir in tomatoes, corn, green chilies, cumin, chili powder and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring mixture to a light boil stirring frequently. Stir in black beans and warm through.
Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, cheese and cilantro. Serve warm with avocado.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy