Squash and Corn Chowder is an absolutely perfect summer soup! It’s rich and creamy and brimming with fresh sweet corn and yellow squash. And when finished flavorful shredded cheddar and crisp, salty bacon you know it’s got to be good!
A Delicious Yellow Squash Recipe!
Isn’t it true that anytime of year is a great time for a comforting, hearty bowl of soup? It’s not just made for cold winter days. I know I thoroughly enjoy it year round, especially when I’ve got summer veggies like these to add to a soup.
This soup is a great way to take advantage of the abundance of fresh summer vegetables that surround us. Wether they be from your garden, the local farmers market or your local grocery store, find the ingredients to make this soup!
It’s not often I think to add squash to soup, but after trying this one it will be plenty more often that I do.
Pureeing the Corn Makes the Soup Even Creamier!
I love how creamy this soup is thanks to a the way the corn is pureed to make a rich soup base, and the addition of a fair amount of cream ensures that things stay true to the creamy labeling.
The fresh flavors of this soup will keep you coming back for more. I absolutely love fresh corn on the cob, I was raised on it.
All throughout the summer my mom would stop and pick up local corn and for about 1 month out of the year we would pick it from our own backyard garden. And it was always boiled then rolled in butter while it was still hot.
I remember we constantly had those concave, corn molded cubes of butter sitting on a small plate in the fridge. We never did the slice with a butter knife and spread method, we were much more efficient :).
You wouldn’t believe how well the corn in this recipe pairs with yellow squash! It’s a match meant to be. I don’t know how you could not just love this soup.
Its summer in a bowl and you simply have to try it!
More Corn Chowder Recipes to Try!
- Corn Chowder
- Creamy Ham Potato Corn Chowder
- Creamy Chicken and Corn Chowder
- Mexican Corn Chowder
- Thai Coconut Chicken Corn Chowder
- Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Summer Squash and Corn Chowder
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled and 1 1/2 Tbsp rendered bacon fat reserved
- 1 1/2 lbs yellow squash, chopped (about 3 medium)
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 3/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 5 cups fresh cut corn (from about 6 ears corn), divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 3/4 tsp salt, then more to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, then more to taste if desired
- 3/4 cup Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- Heat 4 tsp reserved bacon fat in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add celery and saute 2 minutes then add the squash and 3/4 cup of the green onions.
- Saute until tender, about 6 minutes, adding in garlic and flour during last 2 minutes of sauteing. Reduce heat slightly.
- Add 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 cups of the corn, thyme, salt and pepper to the sauteed veggies.
- To a blender add remaining 3 cups of corn, remaining 1 1/4 cups milk and the cream. Process in blender until nearly smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Add pureed mixture to pot and stir to blend. Cook until mixture reaches a light boil.
- Serve warm with shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and remaining sliced green onions.
- Recipe Source: inspired by Cooking Light