Mothers Day dessert, look no further! My Mom loved these cupcakes, and seriously who wouldn’t? A chocolate cupcake with a cherry pie filling, topped with a sweetened whipped cream and chocolate, yeah no one could turn it down.
These decadent cupcakes are perfectly chocolatey with a soft and moist crumb and that cherry pie filling, well try not to eat it by the spoonful before you fill the cupcakes.
In a way these remind me a of a ding dong type cupcake but with of course the bonus of that delicious filling.
I think they would also be good with a raspberry or strawberry pie filling if you are wanting to switch it up a bit, but try the cherry version at least once.
Everyone is going to love the surprise pie filling inside! Enjoy!
Now lets see what’s inside…
Follow Cooking Classy
These cupcakes of the best blend of flavors! Rich fluffy chocolate cake meets fruit cherry pie filling, and they're finished with a simple creamy whipped topping.
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate , finely chopped
- 1/3 cup unsweetend cocoa powder (regular or Dutch-processed)
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Filling and Topping
- 1 1/4 cups cherry pie filling , store bought or homemade
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Finely chopped chocolate or real chocolate sprinkles , for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the chopped chocolate and cocoa powder in a medium bowl, then pour hot water over chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Transfer bowl to refrigerator and chill 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through chilling, until cooled (or 10 in freezer stirring once).
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, salt and baking soda. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together canola oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla. Pour chocolate mixture into oil mixture and stir until well combined, then add flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 paper lined muffin cups (about 1/4 cup in each). Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 17 - 19 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool in baking tin several minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Cut a hole in the centers of each cupcake (big enough to fit 1 1/2 Tbsp filling, mine was slightly heaping out the top). Add about 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp cherry pie filling to holes in cupcakes.
In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, whip heavy cream on high speed until soft peaks form. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
Pipe whipped cream over cupcakes then top each with a cherry and garnish with finely chopped chocolate or sprinkles. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator, allow to rest at room temperature about 20 minutes before serving.
Cake recipe portion adapted from Cook's Illustrated via Brown Eyed Baker