Broccoli Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich—the thick, delicious, and satisfying spring sandwich that will become an instant favorite. The toasty bread, melty cheese, salty ham, and savory broccoli create such an amazing sandwich that’s perfect for leftover Easter ham!
I’m almost at a loss for words to describe this Broccoli Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich, it is just that good! I guess I will say, let the pictures tell you everything you need to know about this sandwich. That melty cheese alone has me wanting to make one right this instant.
Several months ago I had, I guess the word is, “pinspiration” when I saw this utterly incredible photo of a Broccoli Grilled Cheese sandwich over at BS in the Kitchen. It left me salivating and I never did forget about it. I was purely inspired to make my rendition.
This is my go-to sandwich when I have leftover Easter ham or leftover Christmas ham. It’s the perfect way to use up leftovers and get in some veggies with your favorite comforting grilled cheese sandwich. You could try other veggies added in, like tomatoes, spinach, arugula, or even potatoes!
Healthy Grilled Cheese
If you have tried my Healthier Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe then this recipe and cooking method will be familiar to you (though this version isn’t quite as healthy). Some may say if you are going to have a grilled cheese sandwich you may as well load on the butter, use white bread and just go all out.
I say otherwise, not only because you should fry with olive oil and use whole grain bread for a healthier option, but I think it tastes better. I hope you adapt this cooking method for all your grilled cheese sandwiches, it’s a small and simple step to a healthier grilled cheese. Enjoy!
ahh, that first bite…
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Broccoli Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices Double Fiber Bread or Whole Wheat Bread
- 1.5 oz Medium Cheddar Cheese , grated (about 1/3 cup packed)
- 1/2 oz Parmesan Cheese , finely grated (about 2 Tbsp)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped quality ham*
- 6 small broccoli florets , steamed then diced into small pieces**
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Salt , to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil , divided
- In a bowl, combine grated Cheddar Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, ham, steamed broccoli, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Layer mixture over one slice of bread then top with additional slice of bread gently pressing down. Heat a non-stick fry pan over medium low heat then drizzle 1/2 Tbsp olive oil into pan and tilt pan back and forth to evenly coat, immediately place sandwich in pan (I don't preheat the oil because the outside would darken before the inside cooks through), cover pan with lid and cook 2 - 3 minutes until bottom becomes golden brown. Carefully lift sandwich out of pan with a spatula then add remaining 1/2 Tbsp olive oil to pan and tilt to coat. Carefully flip sandwich returning to pan, cover pan with lid, and cook opposite side until bottom is golden brown and cheese has melted about 2 - 3 minutes. Serve warm.
- Recipe Source: inspired by BS in the Kitchen, recipe Cooking Classy