This is such a flavorful, hearty, approachable Pad Thai recipe that anyone can make! It’s made with ingredients you can find at the regular grocery store and it’s sure to leave you craving more!
Isn’t it about time we stopped relying on take out to get Pad Thai and making it at home instead? This veggie and chicken version will leave you wanting to make it at home time and time again!
Yes this is it’s a slightly Americanized version (without tamarind and tofu and what not) but it’s my favorite I’ve had!
It’s packed with noodles and, protein rich pieces of chicken and lots of fresh vegetables.
Then it’s all tossed with the most crave-worthy sauce and finished with peanuts. What’s not to love?
Chicken Pad Thai Video (1 min)
Ingredients for This Pad Thai and Sauce
- Rice noodles – base of the recipe, wouldn’t be the same without them.
- Chicken breasts – makes it hearty and adds protein.
- Vegetable oil – for sauteeing.
- Brown sugar – to sweeten the sauce.
- Soy sauce – to add deep flavor and balance the sweetness.
- Rice vinegar and lime juice – to add brightness.
- Fish sauce – adds key flavor, don’t skip it. You can find it in the Asian section of the grocery store.
- Veggies (bell pepper, carrots, green onions) – these make it a meal in one.
- Garlic, green onions and cilantro – for fresh flavor.
- Eggs – a classic part of pad thai.
- Peanuts – for that crave-able crunch.
Can I Make it with Shrimp?
This can definitely be made with shrimp in place of chicken. Use 1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp, cook about 1.5 minutes per side until opaque.
How to Make Pad Thai
- Prepare rice noodles according to directions on package.
- Whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice and fish sauce, set aside.
- Sear chicken in skillet in oil until cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate, leaving oil in pan. Saute veggies.
- Push veggies to edges of pan and crack eggs into center. Cook and scramble until eggs have cooked through.
- Add in chicken, noodles and sauce and toss everything together and cook 1 – 2 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with cilantro, peanuts and optional red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
Recipe originally shared March, 2015.
More Delicious Thai Recipes You’ll Love!
- Thai Chicken Curry (Slow Cooker)
- Thai Butternut Squash Soup
- Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Thai Basil Beef Bowls
- Thai Chicken Tacos With Peanut Sauce
Chicken Pad Thai
This is such a flavorful, hearty, approachable Pad Thai that anyone can make! It's made with ingredients you can find at the regular grocery store and it's sure to leave you craving more!
- 10 oz Thai rice noodles
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts , sliced into small strips
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 red bell pepper , sliced into thin strips and strips halved
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 green onions , whites minced, greens sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts , roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro , chopped
- Red pepper flakes and sesame seeds (optional)
Prepare rice noodles according to directions listed on package. In a mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice and fish sauce, set aside.
While noodles are cooking, heat oil in a wok or large and deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot add chicken and saute until cooked through, about 4 - 6 minutes.
Transfer to a plate, leaving oil in pan. Add bell pepper and carrots and saute 1 - 2 minutes then add garlic, green onions and bean sprouts saute 1 minute longer.
Push veggies to edges of pan and crack eggs into center. Cook and scramble until eggs have cooked through. Add in chicken, noodles and sauce and toss everything together and cook 1 - 2 minutes.
Serve warm topped with cilantro, peanuts and optional red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy