This Thai Chicken Curry is made in the slow cooker to give it that slow-simmered depth of flavor and you’ll love every last bite of it! It cooks for hours in a deliciously seasoned coconut broth along with fresh veggies, then it’s served with rice to make it a perfectly filling and satisfying meal.
Best Thai Chicken Curry
This is my favorite Thai Chicken Curry recipe. Why? Because it’s easy to make, it has the perfect flavor, it’s creamy, it’s hearty and it tastes like what you get at the Thai restaurant but made an enjoyed in the comfort of your home.
How to Make Thai Chicken Curry
- In a slow cooker you’ll combine coconut milk, chicken broth, red curry paste, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, ginger, garlic and salt.
- Then add in chicken, carrots and onions (and optional lemongrass).
- Cover and cook on low until tender, about 5 hours, while adding the bell pepper at about 4 hours and 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and shred.
- Mix in lime juice, fish sauce, peanut butter then toss in shredded chicken and cilantro.
- Serve with rice, peanuts and more cilantro.
One word, YUMMMMMMM!
Can I Make This in the Instant Pot?
I haven’t yet tested this in the Instant Pot but I’ve made plenty of other chicken recipes in it so I don’t see why this wouldn’t work for the Instant Pot as well.
If going that route I’d reduce broth to 1/4 cup and cook it on the “manual” setting for 13 minutes and I’d probably just add the peppers in at the beginning or saute them just in a skillet in a little oil if you like them crisp tender.
Then once time is complete use the quick release method. Once steaming stops add the remaining as listed at the end.
Whichever method you choose to cook this be sure to serve it with the peanuts because aren’t those crunchy little bits the best part??
More Thai Recipes to Try
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Curry
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp red curry paste, such as Mae Ploy or Thai Kitchen
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp peeled and minced ginger
- 2 tsp peeled and minced garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts* (3 large)
- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch thick diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer layer removed, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored and sliced into 2-inch strips
- 2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- Cooked jasmine rice or brown rice, for serving
- 1/3 cup chopped unsalted peanuts, for serving
In a 5 - 7 quart slow cooker stir together coconut milk, chicken broth, red curry paste, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, ginger and garlic. Season lightly with salt (about 1/4 tsp).
Add chicken, carrots and onions to slow cooker and submerge lemongrass in broth. Cover and cook on low heat until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 5 hours, while adding in bell pepper during last 45 minutes of cooking.
Remove chicken from slow cooker and let rest a few minutes then shred. Remove lemongrass if used.
Stir peanut butter, lime juice and fish sauce into mixture into slow cooker, then toss in chicken and half of the cilantro.
Season with a little more salt to taste (I needed another 1/4 tsp). Serve warm with rice, sprinkle with peanuts and remaining cilantro.
*Trimmed chicken thighs can be used here as well. Cooking time will be the same.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy
Rice not included in nutrition.