CHOCOLATE MUFFINS! Chocolate for breakfast, could any of us resist that when it’s offered? Which is exactly why I don’t make chocolate muffins everyday.
These chocolate muffins make a great way to start any morning. I mean when you begin your day with chocolate, how could you not just start the day with a little smile on your face and skip in your step? Chocolate brings me joy, it really does. Maybe that makes me an emotional eater but at least I’m not in denial :).
Yesterday I had made some cashew chicken which I was intending on posting, that was until I tasted it and decided I hated it and dumped it down the drain (someday I’ll find a recipe I like). What do you do when something fails? Eat chocolate (yes, it’s a good thing I’m not a therapist). So, I made these chocolate muffins.
These fluffy muffins are chocolate loaded, breakfast goodness. I used three types of chocolate in these but you can simply use just the bittersweet if you’d like. Just chop up the remaining 2-3 oz of bittersweet chocolate and add that in place of the chocolate chips. My taste buds are just finally getting into semi-sweet chocolate within the last year, so going with all bittersweet for me would be a little intense. That’s the great thing about baking at home though is you can make those small changes to suit your personal taste.
You’ll love how easy these decadent muffins are to make. It could just be a dangerous thing. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate , chopped
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used 1/4 cup milk chocolate and 1/4 cup semi-sweet)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a microwave safe bowl, combine bittersweet chocolate and butter and heat in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together granulated sugar and cocoa powder then add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk until well blended.
- In a separate bowl or in the liquid measuring cup used to measure buttermilk, blend together buttermilk, vegetable oil, egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Pour buttermilk mixture and melted chocolate mixture into flour mixture, and using a rubber spatula, quickly stir and fold just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among 12 (standard size) paper lined muffin cups, filling each cup nearly full.
- Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, about 15 - 18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
- Recipe adapted slightly from Brown Eyed Baker