Oreo Donuts! Oven baked fluffy chocolate donuts are topped with a rich creamy icing and topped with Oreos, then they’re finished with a cookies and cream filling too!
While we were on vacation recently we stopped by Krispy Kreme, because on vacation I basically eat what I want, all day long. One reason I love vacation. Bad news when I get home, but great news on vacation =). I gazed over my selection of choices and instantly spotted these Oreo doughnuts they had.
They were a chocolate cake doughnut covered with glaze, then icing and crushed Oreos and then they had an Oreo cream filling in the middle. Yes it was a tasty doughnut but I thought there were several things I wanted to change about them.
That’s what I love about baking at home, you can make them just how you like. That is why I came home and made them my way. I thought their version was too sweet, yes this version I made is sweet but theirs was even too sweet for me.
I thought the version they had made didn’t need a glaze AND an icing so I left off the glaze layer. I also didn’t like their cream filling, it tasted like canned frosting and it was to heavy for a cake doughnut so and I ended up just pushing it off and just eating the rest.
So, with my version I went with the real thing, heavy cream. It is cookies and cream after all. These doughnuts are amazing to say the least. Chocolaty, Oreo’s and cream deliciousness. Enjoy!
Mine above. Krispy Kreme’s below.
Follow Cooking Classy
Baked Cookies and Cream Doughnuts
Oven baked fluffy chocolate donuts are topped with a rich creamy icing and topped with Oreos, then they're finished with a cookies and cream filling too!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Softened butter , for doughnut pan
Vanilla Icing with Oreos
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 Tbsp milk , then more as needed
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 Oreos , crushed
Oreo Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 Oreos , finely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter doughnut pans with softened butter, set aside. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well blended, make a well in mixture and set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar, light-brown sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract and buttermilk, mix until well combined. Pour wet mixture into well in dry mixture, and using a wooden spoon stir mixture until combined. Scoop mixture into a large piping bag and pipe mixture into prepared doughnut pans, filling each well about 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven 12 - 13 minutes until toothpick inserted into doughnut comes out clean. Invert doughnuts onto a wire rack to cool. Cool completely then spoon and spread Vanilla Icing over tops of doughnuts and immediately sprinkle tops with crushed Oreos (from the 8 Oreos). Allow icing to set then pipe Oreo Whipped Cream into centers of doughnuts. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
- For the Vanilla Icing:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar, 5 Tbsp milk, 1 Tbsp heavy cream and vanilla. Stir in more milk if needed, just a few tsp at a time until mixture is spreadable (it should still be fairly thick - like a thick glaze).
- For the Oreo Whipped Cream:
- In a mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer set on high speed, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Stir in powdered sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold in finely crushed Oreos.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy, inspired by Krispy Kreme