Oreo Balls AKA Oreo Truffles are the perfect treat for any occasion! They only require THREE ingredients, they couldn’t be easier to make and they taste unbelievably delicious. They’re always the first thing to go at parties and I’m yet to meet someone who doesn’t love them!
Oreo Balls Made Two Ways
These really are one of our favorite treats! People go crazy over them and they’re always amazed to learn how simple they are.
Everywhere I take them they are always loved by people of all ages. My brother who doesn’t care for desserts asks me to makes these!
You just can’t go wrong with this recipe. Made up of all delicious things – Oreos, cream cheese and chocolate!
If you’ve never made truffles before or dipped candies in chocolate this is a great place to start! The recipe is so straight forward. Once you try these you’ll be hooked, I know I am for life.
These truffles are deliciously rich, perfectly chocolatey and the addition of cream cheese just makes them sing! Who new something so incredibly easy could be so incredibly tasty?
My personal favorite are the Oreo balls dipped in white chocolate, it’s keeps that classic cookies and cream flavor going. But of course chocolate is delicious too, you get a double chocolate flavor.
For the Christmas season you should try the peppermint version, all you have to do is add a little peppermint extract to the truffle mixture then garnish with crushed candy canes before the chocolate sets.
Ingredients Needed for Oreo Truffles:
The great thing about this recipe? You only need THREE ingredients:
- Oreos – don’t use double stuff or flavored Oreos, just the standard work best here.
- Cream cheese – avoid using low fat. Standard full fat cream cheese will give the best flavor and consistency.
- Chocolate melts – I like to use Ghirardelli but for a cheaper alternative you can use the Wilton candy melts or almond bark.
Want to Make the Peppermint Version?
- You’ll also need peppermint extract and crushed candy canes for garnish.
What Equipment is Needed for Oreo Balls?
There are three ways Oreo Balls can be mixed up:
- food processor (my preferred method)
- stand mixer or electric hand mixer
- by hand in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon
How Should Oreo Truffles Be Stored?
Because of the cream cheese they contain Oreo balls should be stored in the refrigerator in an are tight container. Then can sit at room temperature up to 2 hours when serving.
Can They be Frozen?
Yes, they can be frozen in an airtight container up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
How to Make Oreo Balls:
- Prepare a baking sheet: Line an 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Crush Oreos: Place 36 Oreos in a food processor (entire cookie, don’t remove cream filling) and pulse too fine crumbs. Alternatively this can be done by hand by placing Oreos in a gallon size resealable bag and crushing to fine crumbs.
- Mix Oreos with cream cheese: add cream cheese to food processor, pulse in bursts until mixture is combined. Alliteratively you can do this using a stand mixer (set on low speed), electric mixer or by hand, just mix until mixture is well blended.
- Shape mixture into balls: Scoop mixture out about 1 Tbsp at a time and form into 1 inch balls then align on prepared cookie sheet.
- Chill: Place truffles in freezer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile crush remaining 3 Oreos.
- Melt chocolate: Melt almond bark or chocolate according to directions on package.
- Dip truffles: Remove truffles from freezer and dip in melted chocolate and use a spoon to pour some chocolate over the top then lift and allow excess chocolate to run off.
- Let set: Return to baking sheet, immediately sprinkle tops with crushed Oreos if desired, then allow chocolate to set. Alternatively you can drizzle with melted chocolate for a nice finishing touch.
Tips for This Recipe
- Use regular, not Double Stuf Oreos. Double stuff has too much cream filling for these.
- Don’t use light cream cheese, stick with the regular stuff here. Light is thinner and not as rich.
- Don’t have a food processor? You can also finely crush the Oreos in a large resealable bag using a rolling pin.
- Be sure to chill the Oreo filling before you try to dip them, otherwise bits of Oreos will break off into the chocolate.
- I like to use a fork or dipping tool to dip in chocolate, then use a spoon to pour more chocolate over them, then lift and let excess run off.
More Easy Treats to Try!
- Pretzel Turtles (3 Ingredients)
- Chewy Caramel Popcorn
- Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Sweet Holiday Chex Mix
- Pretzel Hugs
Follow Cooking Classy
Oreo Truffles - Two Ways
Oreo Truffles are the perfect treat for any occasion! They only require THREE ingredients, they couldn't be easier to make and they taste absolutely dreamy. They're always the first thing to go at parties, I'm yet to meet someone who doesn't love them!
- 36 Oreos (original not doublestuf), plus 3 more, crushed, for topping if desired
- 1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 16 oz vanilla or chocolate candy melts, or melted white chocolate, milk chocolate or dark chocolate
- See notes for peppermint variation
- Line an 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper.
Place 36 Oreos in a food processor (entire cookie, don't remove cream filling) and pulse too fine crumbs.*
Pour crushed Oreos into the bowl of a stand mixer along with cream cheese and mix on low speed until well combined**.
- Scoop mixture out about 1 Tbsp at a time and form into 1 inch balls then align on prepared cookie sheet.
- Place truffles in freezer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile crush remaining 3 Oreos.
- Melt almond bark or chocolate according to directions on package.
- Remove truffles from freezer and dip in melted chocolate and use a spoon to pour some chocolate over the top then lift and allow excess chocolate to run off.
Return to baking sheet, immediately sprinkle tops with crushed Oreos if desired, then allow chocolate to set.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
- *Alternately if you don't own a food processor you can place Oreos in a large resealable bag, seal bag and crush with a rolling pin until finely crushed.
- **If you don't own a mixer you can just blend mixer in a mixing bowl with a spoon.
- Recipe adapted from Kraft
For The Peppermint Version
- Mix 1 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract with the cream cheese in a stand mixer first, then add the Oreo crumbs and continue as directed.
- Dip chocolates then immediately sprinkle tops with peppermint bits crushed candy canes or crushed starlight mints (instead of more crushed Oreos).