All the flavors of the classic German chocolate cake in perfect individual cupcake servings! These are incredibly delicious and perfect for birthdays and holidays. You get a soft and tender chocolate cupcake topped with an ooey gooey coconuty topping and its finished with a border of creamy chocolate frosting!
Oh my goodness, I don’t know if I should have ever made these. Now I know I’m just going to be craving them ALL the time. I’m totally in love with this cupcake. I think it’s safe to say it’s a german chocolate cake lovers dream.
And this chocolate frosting, I think I have a new favorite – or at least a tie (this one here is my other favorite). It is so decadent, creamy and richly chocolatey without being overbearing.
It’s definitely the highlight of these cupcakes along with that amazing Coconut Pecan Topping (yeah that stuff that I seriously had a hard time restraining myself from and not eating it all by the spoonful).
I made several batches of chocolate cupcakes for these and finally settled on going with one of my old favorites that I posted back about the time I started my blog two years ago.
It is a one bowl chocolate cupcake recipe, so the cupcake portion is incredibly easy to make (so that will make up for the fact that you have to make two frostings instead of the usual one). They are light and fluffy and I felt that they paired well with the toppings that are more dense.
It’s also much more of a milk chocolate cupcake which to me is more German chocolate-ish than a rich, dark chocolate. I’m telling you, you are going to love these :).
Oh and if you are like me and you’re hooked on the whole salty caramel chocolate thing, then definitely sprinkle the tops of these with a pinch of flaky or coarse sea salt. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
German Chocolate Cupcakes
One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
Coconut Pecan Topping
- FOR THE CUPCAKES: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 30 seconds.
- Add in vegetable oil, milk, egg and vanilla extract and beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour in hot water and stir until well combined. Add in sour cream and mix until combined.
- Fill paper lined muffin cups 3/4 full and bake in preheated oven for 16 – 19 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean (or with a few moist crumbs).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool several minutes in muffin pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, top each cupcake with 1 Tbsp of the Coconut Pecan Topping (in a mound in the center) then pipe the Chocolate Frosting around cupcakes. Store in an airtight container.
- FOR THE COCONUT PECAN TOPPING: In a medium saucepan combine, evaporated milk, egg yolks, brown sugar and butter.
- Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 - 15 minutes (mixture should come to a light boil, and when you run a rubber spatula along the bottom you should see the bottom of the pan for a moment).
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a mixing bowl. Stir in vanilla then mix in shredded coconut and chopped pecans and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Place semi-sweet chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, then heat in microwave on 50% power in 20 second intervals stirring after each interval until melted and smooth, set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (an electric hand mixer would work fine too), whip together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy.
- Blend in cocoa powdered on low speed, then blend in powdered sugar. With mixer running, slowly power in melted chocolate and blend until combined. Add in cream 1 tsp at a time, as needed to reach desired consistency.