This has been my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe for years now. It makes the softest, perfectly chocolaty, moist and fluffy cupcake paired with the best chocolate cupcake frosting.
Best Chocolate Cupcake Recipe!
How is it that I’ve never shared a chocolate cupcake recipe with chocolate buttercream frosting before??
Okay I’ve shared lots of chocolate cupcakes with different kinds of frosting but who doesn’t love this classic combination – chocolate with more chocolate!
This is has been my go-to chocolate cupcakes for years now.
I created this recipe back when I was reading the how-to’s and sciences of baking books, so I came up with the perfect blend and ratios to get my favorite chocolate cupcake. I’m crazy, I literally dream about these things.
Cupcake Frosting that Tastes Like Fudge
Try these out soon though, you just can’t go wrong with a classic chocolate cupcake with a rich chocolate buttercream frosting.
These are made with all the good stuff – butter, sugar, cocoa, cream. And it includes how to make cupcake frosting that is out of this world.
Oh and that frosting, it tastes like fudge..so, if you are lucky enough to have any left over just store it in the fridge and eat it by the spoonful. Fudge I tell you.
How to Make Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large heat proof mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Pour in boiling water and whisk then let cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl using an electric mixer blend together melted butter, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Mix in egg then eggs yolk.
- Blend in lukewarm cocoa mixture then blend in heavy cream.
- Add flour and blend until well combined.
- Divide batter among 12 paper lined muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven about 17 – 20 minutes.
- Cool before frosting.
Can I Double the Recipe?
You can easily double this recipe, it is actually half of the original recipe. I’m usually only making 12 cupcakes these days, it’s not very often that I need 24. But if you’ve got a room full of chocolate lovers go with 24 :).
Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
My favorite chocolate cupcakes! These are soft, fluffy, moist and perfectly sweet, rich and chocolatey. So good that they might even become the special birthday request every year! A chocolate lovers dream.
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp (38g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) boiling water
- 1/4 cup (58g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heaping 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) heavy cream
- 3/4 cup+ 2 Tbsp (125g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (170g) butter softened (preferably 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1/4 cup salted)
- 2 1/2 cups (326g) powdered sugar
- 6 Tbsp (38g) unsweetened cocoa powder*
- 2 - 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large heat proof mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and baking soda. Carefully pour in boiling water and whisk until bubbling subsides and mixture is well blended, allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a separate large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on low speed, blend together melted butter, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined, about 30 seconds.
Mix in egg then eggs yolk. Blend in lukewarm cocoa mixture then blend in heavy cream. Add flour and blend until well combined, while scraping down sides and bottom of bowl.
Divide batter among 12 paper lined muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full.
Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 17 - 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool in muffin pan several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool. Cool completely then frost with chocolate buttercream frosting.
For the chocolate buttercream frosting: In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream butter until fluffy.
Mix in powdered sugar, cocoa powder, 2 Tbsp cream and the vanilla. Mix until light and fluffy while adding more cream to thin if needed.
- *If you want the frosting even more chocolatey you can add another 2 Tbsp cocoa powder.