Glazed Lemon Cookies – brightly lemon flavored, soft chewy cookies finished with a sweet and simple glaze. This is such a tasty cookie you’ll want to make again and again!
One of my favorite flavors to use in cooking and baking is lemon. It gives such a vibrant, fresh and zesty taste. It can bring any dish or dessert to life. I’ve tried a few lemon cookies in the past and each one left me searching for yet another recipe that had enough lemon flavor and the perfect soft, chewy and even lightly gooey texture I was looking for.
Sometimes, when you can’t find what you are looking for and your up for some experimentation, it’s nice to create your own recipe. I’m so excited my most recent attempt, these are exactly what I’ve been looking for!
I could probably manage to eat the entire batch myself, crumbs included. You won’t take a bite of these and have to wonder, hmmm what is that slight tasty tingle on my tongue? These have lemon written all over them.
Just be sure to add the glaze because it gives it one more layer of incredibly fresh lemon flavor and it’s the perfect finish to such an amazing and dainty cookie.
Also, just wanted to mention, these cookies have a very light yellow tint to them, if you want a more vibrant yellow I would recommend adding in a few drops of yellow food coloring into the batter and reducing the vanilla by a titch. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Glazed Lemon Cookies
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter , softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons (about 1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fit with paddle attachment, whip together butter, sugar and lemon zest on medium-high speed, until mixture is pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Blend in egg, then egg yolk. Mix in lemon juice and vanilla extract. Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Scoop dough out by the heaping tablespoonfuls, form into balls and drop onto silicone baking mat or parchment paper lined baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven 9 - 11 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool.
For Lemon Glaze
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and enough lemon juice to reach a drizzle-able consistency.
- Pour mixture into a resealable bag, seal bag and cut a small tip off one corner then drizzle glaze over cookies. Allow glaze to set at room temperature.
- Store cookies in a single layer in an airtight container.