Grilled Greek Chicken Quinoa Bowls are perfectly fresh and hearty and loaded with all those classic Greek flavors we crave! They are packed with fresh veggies and topped with a creamy, herby Greek yogurt based tzatziki sauce.
Greek Chicken Quinoa Bowls
This is how you build a quinoa bowl! Layers of texture, layers of flavor and always sure to satisfy!
I really tried to keep the ingredients list down (you should see some of my other Greek recipes), so I’ve listed several of the toppings as optional, such as the feta, avocado, olives and honey.
The key ingredients are the marinated and grilled chicken, the quinoa (which could be substituted with farro) and then I’d say at least one fresh veggie, and the tzatziki (which could be substituted with hummus).
Then to make the best use of your time, you can cook the quinoa while the chicken marinates and prep the toppings while the chicken is cooking.
I used to believe in a 2-hour marinating time for chicken, but the last few years on busy weeknights it just never happens. For many acidic marinades, I’ve found 30 minutes is actually plenty.
If you love Greek food, this recipe is definitely for you. If you’ve never had Greek food, then this recipe is definitely for you. If you are human, then this recipe is for you :). Trust me, it’s delicious!
In fact, it’s so good you’ll be wanting to make it on a regular basis. Greek and Mediterranean food has a way of doing that.
Grilled Greek Chicken Quinoa Bowls Ingredients
For the Greek chicken marinade, you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Herbs (dried basil, oregano and thyme)
- Salt and pepper
And for the rest of the quinoa bowls, you’ll need:
- Diced tomato
- Feta cheese
- Kalamata olives
How to Make Quinoa Bowls
- Whisk together Greek chicken marinade ingredients and pour into sealable bag. Place chicken inside bag and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- While chicken marinates, cook quinoa.
- Once chicken has marinated, grill over medium-high heat until cooked through.
- Dice Greek grilled chicken and assemble quinoa bowls with your choice of toppings.
Can I Make This with Chicken Thighs?
Yes, although you may need to adjust the cook time slightly when grilling the chicken.
Can I Prep These in Advance?
These Greek chicken quinoa bowls would be perfect for meal prep. Just be sure to wait to add the avocado until you’re ready to servem and keep the tzatziki in a separate small container.
Tips for the Best Quinoa Bowls
- I like to add a little honey to my Greek chicken marinade because it helps the chicken develop those lovely grill marks. You can omit the honey, if desired.
- Make sure to rinse the quinoa before cooking it, otherwise it might taste bitter once cooked.
- Feel free to play around with the toppings you add to this quinoa bowl recipe. Greek chicken pairs well with a variety of toppings!
More Greek Recipes You’ll Love:
- Garlicky Greek Spaghetti Toss
- Greek Chicken Kebabs
- Grilled Greek Lemon Chicken
- Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Grilled Salmon with Avocado Greek Salsa
- Slow Cooker Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
Grilled Greek Chicken Quinoa Bowls
A fresh and hearty chicken and quinoa bowl loaded with the classic Greek flavors! It's like a deconstructed gyro. So many layers of nutritious ingredients and various textures. You'll love the finishing touch of a creamy tzatziki!
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp honey (optional*)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Quinoa and Toppings
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 large roma tomato cored and diced
- 1 avocado, cored and diced (optional)
- 1/3 English cucumber, diced
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- 1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives (optional)
- 1 cup tzatziki (homemade or store-bought)
Pound thicker parts of chicken breasts to even out their thickness. Transfer to a gallon size resealable bag.
In a small mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, thyme, basil, honey and season with salt and pepper to taste (about 3/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper). Pour olive oil mixture over chicken in bag.
Seal bag while pressing excess air out. Rub marinade over chicken then transfer to refrigerator and marinate at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours.
Cook quinoa in low-sodium chicken broth or water according to directions on package.
Preheat a gas grill to 425 degrees F. Once preheated grill chicken 4 - 6 minutes per side (depending on their size) until center registers 165 degrees. Remove from heat, cool 5 minutes then dice into cubes.
To assemble bowls, divide a layer of quinoa among 4 pasta bowls. Top with chicken, tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers, feta, olives and tzatziki. Serve warm.