These Honey Lime Chicken Skewers have that perfect slightly tangy, slightly sweet combo that no one can resist! Bite size pieces of chicken are soak in an easy, flavorful marinade, threaded onto skewers, then cooked over hot flames to get that fire kissed flavor. A must have summer recipe!
Grilled Honey Lime Chicken
Isn’t the best part of summer the grilled food? Okay maybe not the absolute best but it should be up there on the top 10 list, right? Who can resist that charred flavor? That charred flavor just makes these skewers sing.
This recipe is actually just a slight adaptation an old recipe of mine. Here I just diced it up and added it to skewers because everything tastes better served skewer style :).
Really though, I’d have to say I do like this version even better. When it’s diced up and cooked this way it allows more area to be saturated with that marinade. So you’ll really taste that delicious honey lime flavor in each and bite.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Recipe
- Chicken breasts
- Soy sauce
- Olive oil
- Fresh ginger
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
How to Make These Chicken Skewers
First you’ll whisk together the ingredients in the marinade (lime zest, juice, honey, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, ginger, cilantro, cayenne, S&P).
Then you’ll dice up the chicken and place it in a gallon size resealable bag and pour the marinade over the chicken, seal the bag and rub the marinade over the chicken. Marinate in refrigerator 1 – 6 hours. Meanwhile soak wooden skewers.
Preheat a grill. Remove the chicken from marinade and carefully thread chicken onto skewers.
Grill on oiled grates until chicken is cooked through, rotating once halfway through cooking. Then serve these chicken skewers warm.
Tips for this Recipe
- Don’t cut short on the marinating time. You need at least one hour for those flavors to start to soak in.
- Oil your grill grates just before adding the skewers to the grill. It’s a sticky chicken with all that honey.
- Cook over medium heat, anything over that and the chicken will char too quickly. With sweet marinades like this that contain sugar or honey I like a medium heat otherwise those sugars will just burn.
- Pair it with coconut rice and colorful grilled veggies for a tropical meal.
More Chicken Skewer/Kebab Recipes to Try
Honey Lime Chicken Skewers
Bite size chicken pieces are marinated in sweet and tangy honey lime mixture, then threaded onto skewers and grilled to get that tempting slightly charred flavor. This is one of those recipes the whole family can agree on. So delicious!
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp fresh lime zest
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1 3/4 lbs. bonless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
In a mixing bowl whisk together lime juice, lime zest, honey, soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, ginger, cilantro, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
Place chicken in a gallon size resealable bag and pour lime juice mixture over chicken. Seal bag while pressing out excess air then rub marinade over chicken.
Let marinate in fridge at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
If using wooden skewers let soak in water at least 1 hour.
Preheat a grill over medium heat to about 375 degrees.
Thread chicken onto skewers adding about 6 or 7 pieces to each.
Brush grill grates with oil then place skewers on grill and grill about 7 minutes per side, or until chicken registers 165 degrees in center.
Serve warm garnished with cilantro if desired.
Recipe source: adapted from my old honey lime chicken recipe.