These Chicken Fajita Kebabs are a new summertime staple! We all love the sizzling skillet seared chicken fajitas, then there’s the simple sheet pan fajitas and the lazy slow cooker fajitas, but this version has that fire kissed goodness and it’s served as bite size pieces on a skewer so it’s much funner to eat!
And can we talk about that marinade for a second? It has all the best things and you’ll love that blend of citrusy spiced flavors! Plus it makes the chicken oh so tender and amazingly flavorful.
Kebab (or Skewer) Recipes
I totally have a thing for kebabs. I don’t know what it is but things just taste better when chopped up into smaller pieces and served skewer style. It must have something to do with the fact that the marinade can saturate each individual piece, plus there’s the fact that everything is better bite size.
Here’s a collection of my kebab recipes. You may as well make all of them this summer right?
- Steak Kebabs with Chimichurri
- Caprese Chicken Kebabs
- Chicken Satay
- Greek Chicken Kebabs with Tzatziki
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs
- Marinated Steak Kebabs
- Coriander Chicken Kebabs with Lemon Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- Teriyaki Chicken Kebabs
Now there’s these Chicken Fajita Kebabs and I still have two more kebab recipes I’ve made that I’ll share soon!
Ingredients for these Chicken Fajita Kebabs
- Orange (navel or mandarin)
- Chili powder
- Canned chipotle pepper
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts (well trimmed thighs will work too, cook a little longer as needed)
- Bell peppers (3 colors)
- Salt and pepper
How to Make These Kebabs
- First you’ll blend together the marinade ingredients – lime zest, lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, minced canned chipotle pepper, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Then dice the chicken in to bite size pieces and place in a gallon size resealable bag (I like to use a freezer bag or place the bag in a bowl so marinade doesn’t leak out into the fridge).
- Pour the marinade over chicken, seal bag while pressing out excess air. Rub marinade around over chicken then let rest in refrigerator 1 – 6 hours to give the chicken time to soak up those flavors. Meanwhile soak wooden skewers if you haven’t already, or just use metal skewers.
- Preheat grill then thread marinated chicken onto skewers rotating with bell peppers and onion slices (I like to use 2 onion slices at a time).
- Grill on cleaned oiled grates rotating once halfway cooking, until chicken has cooked through. It will take about 6 minutes but this time can vary based on grill model, grill temp, how cold/hot it is outside, wind, etc. so just keep an eye on them but try not to lift the lid much or the hot air that’s circulating will escape quickly.
- Serve warm with quinoa, cilantro lime rice, lime cauliflower rice, Mexican rice, fresh guacamole, warmed tortillas, or black beans (I like to saute 2 garlic cloves then pour in 15 oz canned beans and the liquid and warm them with about 1/4 cup homemade salsa and 1/4 tsp cumin).
Side tip, you can freeze the left over chipotle peppers (a few per small freezer bag) for another use, or to make these again the next week. Because you just might want to.
More Mexican Recipes to Try
Chicken Fajita Kebabs
Chicken pieces are soaked in a bright, citrusy, well season marinade then threaded onto skewers along with fresh bell peppers and onions. Then they're grilled over hot flames to give them that fire kissed flavor we all crave! Such a fun twist on the classic chicken fajitas.
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp orange juice (mandarin or navel)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 tsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp chili powder (preferably 1 tsp regular 1 tsp ancho)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp minced canned chipotle pepper, or more to taste (about 1 pepper)
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and diced into 1-inch chunks
- 3 bell peppers (preferably 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green), cored and diced into 1-inch pieces
If using wooden skewers soak in water overnight or at least 1 hour.
In a mixing bowl whisk together lime zest, lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, chipotle pepper, cilantro, salt and pepper.
Place chicken in a gallon size resealable bag then pour marinade mixture over chicken.
Seal bag while pressing out excess air, rub marinade over chicken and transfer to refrigerator.
Let marinate at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
Preheat grill over medium-high heat to 400 degrees.
Thread chicken and peppers onto skewers (similar to the pattern pictured).
Brush grill grates with oil the place skewers on grill and grill until center registers 165, about 6 minutes per side.
Serve warm garnished with cilantro. I recommend serving over quinoa or cilantro lime rice or serve in warmed tortillas.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy