Instant Pot Chili is quickly becoming my go-to chili recipe. It tastes like it’s been simmering on the stovetop all day but rather it’s cooked in the Instant Pot and ready in under an hour. It’s jam packed with flavor and it’s the perfect ending to a long, cold day.
Instant Pot Chili
Of course the inspiration for this recipe was my Slow Cooker Chili, it’s been one of my most popular most loved recipes for years now. They are very very similar but I did make a few adjustments.
I love that this recipe cooks faster than the slow cooker does and I also love that it’s all cooked in the one pot, rather than having to brown the beef and onions in a pot on the stove then add the slow cooker. Less dishes, yes please!
This Chili is a Staple Recipe
Chili is one of the dinners I make on a regular basis year round. We eat it every other week.
I love the flavors, it’s so filling, it’s easy to make, I almost always have everything for it on hand, and my whole family loves it.
Plus it freezes well so I save what’s left for my kids school lunches. I let it thaw in the fridge for a day then reheat and put it in their Thermoses.
What to Serve with Chili
I usually always serve this chili with baked potatoes (I mean in baked potatoes) or with Homemade Cornbread. Then of course plenty of cheese and sour cream.
Grilled corn or just boiled (previously frozen) corn with butter and salt makes another great, easy side dish. Avocados are always nice too.
Or just skip it all and dive in with saltine crackers or tortilla chips!
More Instant Pot Recipes You Might Like
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Carnitas
Follow Cooking Classy
Instant Pot Chili
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef (preferably 90% lean)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (this just adds a little richness)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 oz.) cans kidney beans (preferably one dark one light), drained and rinsed
- Press the saute setting on the Instant Pot. Once it reads "hot" add olive oil then crumble beef into large portions into instant pot.
- Let cook 5 minutes then break up and toss beef. Continue to cook, tossing occasionally until cooked through, about 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer beef to a plate lined with paper towels, set aside.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil to Instant Pot then add in onions and bell pepper and saute 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika and coriander and saute about 1 minute longer.
- Pour in beef broth, tomatoes, tomatoes sauce, cocoa powder and sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in beef, then press "cancel" to turn pressure cooker off. Cover with lid and seal (make sure valve on lid is set to "sealing" position).
- Select "manual" mode (or high pressure) and set to 15 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then use the quick release method to release any remaining pressure.
- Once steaming stops stir in beans (they'll heat through almost instantly).
- Serve warm with desired toppings such as cheddar cheese, green onions, sour cream and saltine crackers.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy