A perfectly tasty and healthy one pan Mexican recipe! These honey-lime flavors will leave you craving more! Load it up over brown rice for a burrito bowl or skip the rice for less carbs. Either way you’ll be absolutely in love with this meal!
Mexican Chicken and Vegetable Recipe in One!
I know I’m totally smitten! My husband and I fell in love at first bite. The blend of flavors here is just spot on delicious. And not only that this is a perfectly nutritious dinner that I feel great about feeding my family.
We eat chicken most nights for dinner so I’m always trying to come up with new recipes so we don’t get bored. This one though is definitely going on repeat. It’s a recipe I could never get tired of.
I mean how could you go wrong here? Chicken along with delicious melody of veggies is seasoned with Mexican spices. Then it’s sautéed and tossed with sweet honey, tart lime and plenty of fresh cilantro.
This colorful blend of sweet potatoes, avocados, corn, tomatoes, and red onion makes me enjoy this chicken dinner just that much more (don’t hesitate to sprinkle on a few more red onions at the end too)!
Watch the video!
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Recipe
- Fresh veggies – sweet potatoes, red onion, garlic, tomatoes, avocado
- Olive oil
- Black beans
- Frozen corn
- Spices – chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, S&P
- Chicken breasts
How to Make This One Pan Mexican Recipe
- Saute sweet potatoes in skillet
- Add onion and garlic and saute.
- Add black beans, corn and some spices and heat through. Transfer to plate.
- Cook chicken with spices in same skillet.
- Whisk lime and honey.
- Add veggies, avocado and tomato to skillet with chicken, toss with lime mixture and cilantro.
Make it a Burrito Bowl!
And if you want to go the extra mile and go burrito bowl style, serve it over cooked brown rice, top it with Queso Fresco cheese and bring on the Mexican hot sauce! Mmmmmmm.
More Mexican Recipes You You’ll Love
- Mexican Vegetable Soup
- Black Bean Tacos
- Oven Roasted Chicken Tacos
- Refried Beans (Intant Pot or Crockpot)
Follow Cooking Classy
Mexican Honey-Lime Chicken and Veggie Skillet Recipe
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes (1/2-inch)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder, divided
- 2 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Cooked brown rice, for serving (optional)
- 2/3 cup Crumbled Queso Fresco cheese (optional)
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes, saute 3 minutes. Cover and let cook until nearly softened, stirring occasionally, about 8 - 10 minutes (this is where I prep some of the other ingredients to make the most of my time).
- Add in onion and garlic and saute (uncovered), 1 minute. Add in black beans, corn, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let cook, stirring frequently, until corn is heated through and potatoes are soft, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a large plate.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with remaining 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin and salt and pepper. Cook, turning once halfway through, until chicken is cooked through (center should register 165 degrees), about 6 - 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together lime juice and honey. Return sweet potato mixture to skillet once chicken is cooked through, along with tomatoes and avocado. Add honey lime mixture and cilantro and toss to coat. Serve immediately over brown rice if desired and sprinkle with Queso Fresco if desired.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy