Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are hands down one of the best fall treats! They are deliciously pumpkiny, perfectly soft and moist, and they have a perfect autumn spice blend.
These are perfect for a weekend dessert or for just about any celebration, at any time of the year. Why wait for fall for every year these decadent cupcakes??
I mean I’d be totally excited to have these on my birthday in the middle of the summer!
And you may even find people reaching for these instead of that pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving this year. Their flavor is so irresistible and everyone will fall in love with this luscious Cream Cheese Frosting.
Ingredients Needed for the Cupcakes
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves
- Unsalted butter
- Vegetable oil
- Brown sugar and granulated sugar
- Canned pumpkin
- Orange juice
How to Make Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together dry ingredients.
- In an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together sugars. Add in butter and half of the oil and whip until pale and fluffy. Mix in remaining oil then blend in eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla.
- Mix in flour alternating with pumpkin and orange juice.
- Divide batter among lined muffins cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool then frost.
What Should I Use for the Pumpkin Decoration?
- I decorated these with some pumpkins I made with marzipan (a store-bought sweetened almond paste) and gel food coloring. But they are time consuming.
- So for a shortcut you can decorate them with those pumpkin treats that taste like candy corn that are everywhere this time of year.
- Or I also love to use the Wilton royal icing pumpkins – I buy them at Michaels but you can also find them on Amazon here.
Tips for Pumpkin Cupcakes and Cream Cheese Frosting
- Stick with a blend of butter and oil. Butter for flavor, oil for moisture.
- Use both brown sugar and granulated sugar. Brown sugar adds a nice flavor.
- Stick with canned pumpkin for a consistent result.
- If desired swap the spices here for 2 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.
- Cool completely before frosting otherwise the frosting will melt away.
- Keep the frosting cool. Cream cheese frosting can be finicky, but if kept cool it’s just fine.
A Must Have Fall Treat
If you only pick out a couple of things to bake this fall, I highly highly recommend that these be one of them!
They are easy, they’re perfectly festive for the season at hand and they are 100% satisfying and utterly delicious! A must on that to-do list this time of year!
Follow Cooking Classy
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups (212g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable or canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup (110g) packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (105g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (236g) canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fresh strained orange juice
- 8 oz cream cheese , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (112g) unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3 cups (380g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together brown sugar and granulated sugar until no lumps remain. Add in butter and half of the oil and whip until pale and fluffy. Mix in remaining oil then blend in eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla.
- Add in 1/2 of the flour mixture then blend just until nearly combined then add in pumpkin and orange juice and mix until nearly combined. Add in last 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix until nearly combined, then remove bowl from stand mixer and fold with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Divide batter among 14 paper lined muffins cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven 18 - 22 minutes until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool in muffin tin several minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool about 10 minutes. Then transfer to an airtight container to finish cooling (this just helps seal in moisture and keep them really moist).
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy. Mix in vanilla and powdered sugar and whip until light and fluffy (at this point I recommend freezing or chilling frosting in refrigerator for a bit, returning to mixer and stirring occasionally, for a more stable consistency). Pipe or spread frosting over cupcakes then store in refrigerator in an airtight container. Bring nearly to room temp before serving.
- Originally shared Oct. 2014. If you are in love with the old one I shared it was just one I got from Chow HERE.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy