What do you get when you combine oats, pumpkin, caramel, and walnuts along with some sweet spices? You get a nutritious and incredible breakfast with three, yes three Superfoods (some may say four if you count the cinnamon)! And the best part, it tastes like pie. I will admit there is quite a bit of sugar in this recipe but if it didn’t have it just wouldn’t be near as good. At least it has a lot less than the real thing =).
Many of us are always labeling recipes with “Christmas morning breakfast,” well what about Thanksgiving or even Halloween breakfast? The other holidays should have their own fancy breakfasts too, and I think this would make the perfect fit.
Indulge a little and be sure to get a drizzling of the caramel sauce with every bite. In my opinion a pumpkin pie shouldn’t be left without some kind of caramel sauce or dulce de leche, to me they are just meant to go together. That’s why I would say don’t omit the caramel sauce, it’s a must. It’s the highlight of this recipe. Enjoy and indulge in the flavors of fall!
…like I said, every bite needs a little bit of caramel sauce
Follow Cooking Classy
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal with Caramel Sauce
A decadent fall breakfast!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk*
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp light-brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch ginger
- 1 dash salt
- 1 - 2 Tbsp caramel sauce or caramel ice cream topping
- 1 Tbsp chopped walnuts or pecans , optional
- In a large microwave safe bowl, whisk together oats, milk, buttermilk, pumpkin puree, light-brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Microwave mixture on HIGH power for 3 1/2 minutes, then allow oatmeal to rest a few minutes (for a thinner consistency, if desired, pour in additional milk or you could use half and half). Drizzle oatmeal with caramel sauce and sprinkle with optional chopped nuts. Serve warm.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
*or an additional 1/4 cup milk plus 3/4 tsp lemon juice