Can’t there be an easier spelling for the word Vinaigrette? I don’t know why it’s so hard for me to remember that one, maybe because I was always a phonetic speller growing up (and basically still am, but no one knows thanks to spell check) so I want to spell it vinegaret. I’m sure it’s spelling has something to do with the fact that it originated from the french word “vinaigre”. So I’ll just have to think French.
I love how versatile vinaigrette can be. You have many different options of oil to choose (though most of the time I like to use olive oil as it is one of the healthier options), then there’s an assortment of different vinegars to blend in and for additional flavor there are so many various herbs and spices to pick from.
For this vinaigrette I went with a flavor combination I love, especially when the summer months are rolling around, the honey lime combo. Lightly sweet, lightly tart with just the right amount of acidity to balance the lightly sweet flavors of the corn and avocados it coats. Yes indeed it’s a delicious choice of topping for this simple salad as it creates a delicious fusion of flavors. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
A delicious salad loaded to the max with flavor. Brimming with veggies, lean chicken, cheese and finished with a bright vinaigrette.
- 1 lb boneless , skinless chicken breast, grilled and diced into strips
- 1 head Romaine lettuce , torn into bite size pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes , sliced into halves
- 1 cup fresh corn (from about 2 ears of corn)*
- 2 Avocados , diced
- 4 oz Queso Fresco or Feta cheese , crumbled
For the Honey, Lime and Cilantro Vinaigrette
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup lightly packed cilantro
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- To assemble salad layer lettuce onto serving plates, then divide remaining ingredients among plates over lettuce and drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette, or alternately add all salad ingredients to a salad bowl and toss with desired amount of vinaigrette and serve.
For the Vinaigrette: In a blender combine lime juice, honey, rice vinegar, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper and pulse mixture until cilantro has been finely chopped.
With blender set on low speed (remove the center circular attachment from lid) and slowly drizzle olive oil into blender in a slow and steady stream, then blend until slightly thickened about 20 seconds longer.
*Frozen corn would also work, just thaw according to package directions before adding to the salad.