Roasted Chicken and Veggies with Garlic Herb Vinaigrette is such a tasty sheet pan recipe to add to the collection! This simple chicken thigh recipe is healthy, filling and packed with flavor. What more could you ask for in a dinner?
Roasted Chicken Done Right!
Aren’t we all on a never ending search for new chicken recipes? I cook more chicken than any other protein so I’m always trying new ways to flavor it.
I used to be all about using chicken breasts but lately I’m starting to like the flavor, moisture and tenderness of thighs better. Try them in this recipe and you’ll see what I mean!
This recipe doesn’t require any browning beforehand or anything complicated just easy roasted chicken and vegetables for a satisfying meal you’ll want again and again!
How to Make Roasted Chicken Thighs
- Place the chicken and veggies on a sheet pan.
- Drizzle and toss chicken and veggies with olive oil and sprinkle with some seasonings (here I just used paprika, garlic powder and onion powder, just basics because the vinaigrette is where the main, bright flavors come from).
- Roast mixture in a really hot preheated oven so you can get some color on everything. Also another reason the thighs are better here – they’re fattier so they’ll brown better on a dark baking sheet.
- And while that’s roasting you’ll make a summery vinaigrette with lots of fresh herbs.
- Once the chicken is done pour that bright vinaigrette over everything and you’ve got a new sheet pan dinner that’s anything but boring!
Tips for this Recipe
For the Garlic Herb Vinaigrette you can use a variety of fresh herbs here, if you’ve got others on hand. I like this blend and it’s Italian flavors and the way they pair with the vinegar but I’m sure I’ll try others in the future as well. And maybe even use lemon for the vinegar.
Cilantro + parsley + oregano is another great option. Or Marjarom + basil + thyme would also be good. And if tarragon is your thing you could even do a combo with that but tarragon is not my thing.
Dill, and parsley and dry oregano would be a nice blend too – for a good Greek flavor. You get the point, it’s a versatile dressing. But please go for mostly fresh herbs and feel free to double up the vinaigrette if you want extra flavor.
Try a Dark Baking Sheet for Better Browning
You are probably getting tired of this recommendation as I keep saying it, but my dark baking sheets brown things better than my uncoated light baking sheets (especially at high temps) so if you don’t have one I recommend getting one. You can buy them on Amazon.
More of My Best Sheet Pan Recipes to Try
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- One Pan Autumn Chicken Dinner
- Sheet Pan Honey Mustard Salmon and Rainbow Veggies
Follow Cooking Classy
Roasted Chicken and Veggies with Garlic Herb Vinaigrette
- 4 - 5 large boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 20 oz. baby red or yellow potatoes, quartered or halved is very small
- 10 oz. baby carrots
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp very finely minced fresh parsley (from a handful)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp very finely minced fresh basil (or more parsley)
- 1 Tbsp very finely minced fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a rimmed 18 by 13-inch, preferrably dark, baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken on upper half of the baking sheet then place potatoes and carrots on lower half.
- Drizzle everything with olive oil and toss (keeping both chicken and veggies separate. I know they aren't in the photos, I just moved them after roasting).
- Season everything with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper and toss veggies.
- Turn chicken and season opposite side with salt and pepper.
- Roast in preheated oven until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender, about 25 - 28 minutes, while tossing veggies during the last 8 minutes if needed (I didn't need to toss mine but the were a shade away from being too dark on bottom so you may need to toss).
- Meanwhile, for the vinaigrette, in a small small mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once chicken and veggies are done roasting pour vinaigrette over everything and spread across chicken. Serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy