Shrimp Foil Packs with Couscous and Avocado Mango Salsa is an easy, flavorful dinner in one! These summery packs are layered with hearty couscous, tender, protein rich shrimp, and a sweet and citrusy mango avocado salsa. It’s a dinner that’s sure to please!
Shrimp Packs are a Summertime Staple!
These simple shrimp foil packs are so incredibly delicious! They’re perfectly flavorful and the simple, fresh salsa just takes them over the top!
It’s such a wonderful flavor combination here with the avocado-mango salsa and the cilantro-lime shrimp!
And the couscous and spinach rounds it out – while the couscous makes it more hearty and filling and the spinach adds a veggie to the mix (to pair with all that fruit – yes it’s weird that avocados and tomatoes are consider fruit), so you’ve got a meal all in one simple foil packet dinner.
How Can I Make Them Spicy?
If you’d like to add some heat to this recipe you can definitely toss in 1 or 2 seeded diced jalapeño into the salsa but I figured the last shrimp packet recipe I shared was on the spicy side so I decided to keep this one mild. If we went according to my taste buds everything would be spicy :).
Can I Use Rice?
I recommend sticking with couscous for this recipe as it has such a short cook time. Rice takes 4 times as long to cook, and even instant rice takes more cooking than couscous.
One thing that you might be able to substitute with is cauliflower rice, then you won’t need as much broth. Maybe just 1/4 cup so things don’t dry out.
Can I Bake them in the Oven?
These can also be baked in the oven. I’d go with 425 and it should take about 10 – 12 minutes.
I love how quick these salmon packs cook. I mean 10 – 15 minutes for a full meal in one can you beat that?
It works perfectly to preheat the grill while you prepare everything then by the time you’ve assembled them the grill should be up to heat and dinner can be ready in 30 minutes or less!
Then soon enough you’ll be savoring each and ever bite! Winnah winnah shrimp fa dinnah!
More Shrimp Foil Pack Recipes to Try!
- Shrimp Boil Packs
- Shrimp and Asparagus Packs with Garlic Lemon Butter Sauce
- Shrimp and Summer Veggie Packs
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp and Cauliflower Rice Packs
Follow Cooking Classy
Shrimp and Couscous Foil Packets with Avocado-Mango Salsa
- Olive or vegetable oil cooking spray
- 6 oz spinach (about 8 cups), roughly chopped
- 1 1/3 cups couscous (not pearl couscous)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
- 1 large avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 medium vine ripe tomato or two small Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion, rinsed under water and drained
- Preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat to about 450 degrees.
- Cut 8 sheets of 14 by 12-inch heavy duty aluminum foil. Layer two sheets of foil per packet, with each sheet of foil going opposite directions for each (so you should have 4 packets total).
- Spray center of top 4 pieces of foil with vegetable oil spray. Layer spinach over each packet.
- In a bowl toss together couscous and broth and season lightly with salt, divide couscous among each packet placing it over spinach.
- Toss shrimp with 1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice, 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, 1/4 cup cilantro, garlic, cumin and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide shrimp among packets layering over couscous.
- Wrap foil and crimp edges to seal then grill sealed side up until shrimp and couscous have cooked through, about 12 - 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare salsa - in a medium mixing bowl toss together mango, avocado, tomato, red onion, remaining 1/4 cup cilantro, 1 Tbsp lime juice, 1 Tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove packets from grill, carefully open and toss contents if desired. Serve warm with Avocado-Mango Salsa.
- Recipe source: loosely adapted from Self Magazine