Shrimp and Asparagus Foil Packs are quick to make yet the are brimming with bright fresh flavor. And to think I was once a shrimp hater!
Grilled Shrimp in Foil!
It’s recipes like this grilled shrimp in foil (and these Shrimp Boil Foil Packets and these Shrimp and Couscous Foil Packets with Avocado Salsa) that finally made me into a shrimp lover. When it’s flavored right and cooked right, sign me up!
Let’s just put it this way, you neeeeed these Shrimp and Asparagus Foil Packs with Garlic Lemon Butter Sauce in your life! The flavors are spot on delicious and clean up couldn’t be easier!
The way the rich and tangy lemon butter sauce is the perfect compliment to shrimp, and the fresh asparagus too.
Want to see how easy these shrimp foil packets are? Watch the video!
Shrimp and Asparagus Foil Packs Ingredients
To make the shrimp and grilled asparagus in foil, you’ll need the following:
- White wine (or chicken broth)
- Lemon zest and juice
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley
- Medium-thick asparagus
How to Make Shrimp and Asparagus Foil Packs
If you’ve never tried cooking shrimp on the grill, don’t fret. This is the easiest method! Here’s how to make these grill foil packets:
- Preheat grill and cut sheets of foil.
- Divide shrimp and asparagus among foil packs, laying side by side.
- Add in white wine, garlic, and lemon zest, then season with salt and pepper.
- Divide butter among packs.
- Wrap foil and seal edges.
- Grill, sealed side upward, until shrimp has cooked through, about 9 – 10 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap then drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with parsley.
Why Use “Medium Thick” Asparagus?
Big thick asparagus spears won’t be done by the time the shrimp is and thin asparagus may end overcooked and too soft, so for best results stick with medium thick spears.
Can I Bake Shrimp Foil Packets?
Of course you can bake these shrimp and asparagus foil packets as well — which is perfect come winter or if you don’t own a grill. Cook at 425 degrees F for about 13 – 15 minutes.
What Should I Serve with These?
A good side dish for these is couscous, orzo, or rice since you’ll have that delicious sauce with a little extra to go around. Or keep it lower carb and go with something like cauliflower rice. Just don’t be stingy with the garlic (as you’ll notice I went with 1 tsp per serving, it’s a key flavor here).
Tips for Making Shrimp and Asparagus Foil Packs
- When zesting the lemon, be sure to not get any of the pith (the white stuff) on the shrimp. It’s quite bitter.
- For easier prep, buy shrimp that have been peeled and deveined.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice is best here. Trust me, it makes a big difference!
More Shrimp Recipes You’ll Love
- Shrimp Fajitas
- Orange Garlic Shrimp
- Shrimp Boil Skillet
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp with Coconut Rice
- Shrimp Pesto Pasta with Asparagus
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp
Follow Cooking Classy
Shrimp and Asparagus Foil Packs with Garlic Lemon Butter Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs large (21/25) shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp dry white wine or chicken broth
- 4 tsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp butter , diced into small cubes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb medium thickness asparagus , woody ends trimmed
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat (about 400 - 425 degrees F).
- Cut 4 sheets of 14 by 12-inch heavy duty aluminum foil then lay each piece separately on countertop.
- Divide shrimp among packs near center then place asparagus to one side of the shrimp (going the long direction of the foil).
- Pour 1/2 Tbsp white wine over each. Sprinkle over garlic (1 tsp per packet) and lemon zest then season with salt and pepper.
- Divide butter pieces evenly among packets layering them over the shrimp and asparagus.
- Wrap packets in and crimp edges together then wrap ends up (don't wrap too tight - keep a little extra space inside for heat to circulate).
- Grill, sealed side upward, until shrimp has cooked through, about 9 - 10 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap then drizzle with lemon juice (or just serve with lemon wedges for spritzing) and sprinkle with parsley.
- For baking in the oven: preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cook 13 to 15 minutes.
- A good side dish for these is couscous, orzo, or rice since you'll have that delicious sauce with a little extra to go around.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy