Can you ever have too many slow cooker recipes? They are so easy, they yield tender and flavorful results and they are simply perfect for the cold season. Its so nice to come home to a warm meal waiting in the slow cooker at the end of the day. The pork for these sandwiches is made in the slow cooker and an easy sauce simmers over the stove top for about 20 minutes so you can have dinner in no time!
These sandwiches are incredibly flavorful and they make for an amazingly delicious weeknight meal. I mean really, doesn’t balsamic vinegar just enhance everything it touches, its like gold in the food world, right?
I know I love it so I was a huge fan of these sandwiches and their amazing depth of flavor. And when paired with honey and brown sugar it offers that balance of a little bit sweet along with perfect blend of sour and tart.
Follow Cooking Classy
Slow Cooker Balsamic and Honey Pulled Pork Sandwiches and a Giveaway!
- 2 1/2 - 3 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small yellow onion , chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (light is fine too)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Hamburger buns
- Coleslaw (optional)
- Trim fat from pork roast then place roast in a slow cooker and pour broth over top. Top evenly with onions, thyme rosemary and lightly sprinkle with pepper. Cover and cook on LOW 8 - 9 hours or HIGH 4 1/2 hours.
- During last 30 minutes of roast cooking, in a medium saucepan whisk together balsamic vinegar, ketchup, honey, brown sugar, worcestershire, mustard, garlic, 1/2 tsp pepper and season with salt to taste (keep in mind pork is usually pretty salty so you won't need much). Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove pork from slow cooker, shred while removing any fat. Drain onions and broth from slow cooker and discard then return shredded pork to slow cooker (set slow cooker on warm heat at this point). Pour in balsamic sauce mixture and toss to evenly coat. Serve in buns with coleslaw if desired.
- Recipe Source: adapted from BHG