Now there’s a way to eat raw broccoli and cauliflower and enjoy it thanks to this Broccoli Carrot and Cauliflower Coleslaw Salad with a homemade coleslaw dressing. It’s the ultimate crunch salad with such a refreshing flavor. It’s the perfect side dish for get togethers and cookouts and everyone will love those itty bitty, teeny tiny veggie pieces.
I love that this salad uses very basic ingredients and a minimal amount of them yet it’s totally from scratch. No store bought coleslaw dressing here.
And I made this version to be lighter with a blend of mostly Greek yogurt and part mayonnaise. It’s still so rich and creamy and no one will notice it’s lighter.
Here you’ll only want to use the floret portion, hardly any stem. Speaking of do you have any good uses for broccoli stems? I hate to toss them but I can only eat so much of them on their own. Maybe I need another coleslaw recipe for that using only broccoli stems :).
Note that if you don’t want big time crunch here, you can partially boil the veggies to make them more tender. If doing this you’ll want to add in an extra cup or two of each the broccoli and cauliflower as it will loose some of its volume while boiling.
To do the par-boiled method, you’ll fill a large pot with water and bring to a full boil. Drop in all of the veggies and let cook 1 1/2 – 2 minutes until it just loses that hard crunch. Drain and run under cold water to stop cooking, let all of the water drain off then also dab dry with paper towels, then toss with dressing.
I’m thinking I need to make some 3-ingredient pulled chicken or pulled pork sandwiches and make this salad again this week.
For the pulled chicken just cook some boneless skinless chicken breasts in a slow cooker (with salt and pepper) until cooked through (about 4 – 5 hours). Shred then stir in plenty of your favorite store bought bbq sauce and serve over bakery buns or dinner rolls. Then maybe serve with some kettle chips because kettle chips are the best!
Sounds like a good plan for a Wednesday or Thursday to me! It also sounds like an almost summer plan, bring on alllll that summer food. I can’t wait!
More Recipes You Might Like
- Broccoli Cauliflower Cheddar Bacon Salad
- Broccoli Apple Salad
- Slow Cooker Honey Balsamic Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Classic Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Follow Cooking Classy
Broccoli Carrot and Cauliflower Coleslaw Salad
- 3/4 cup plain 2% or fat free Greek yogurt (I recommend Fage for best consistency)
- 1/3 cup full fat mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 3 cups tiny diced broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups tiny diced cauliflower florets
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced baby carrots
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey and salt.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower and baby carrots to a salad bowl.
- Pour in dressing and toss to evenly coat. For best results serve within 30 minutes of adding dressing.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy